Velocity Reviews

-   -   asp zip files and present link (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t795638-asp-zip-files-and-present-link.html)

Carol 07-29-2004 07:46 PM

asp zip files and present link

how do i zip 20 text files in asp then present a download link.
thanks.
i'm using windows 2003

Aaron [SQL Server MVP] 07-29-2004 07:51 PM

Re: asp zip files and present link

http://www.aspfaq.com/2187

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

Carol 07-29-2004 07:55 PM

Re: asp zip files and present link

why would I need a component, when I have zip capability built right into my
windows 2003 serverOS ?
How do I use that?

Aaron [SQL Server MVP] 07-29-2004 07:58 PM

Re: asp zip files and present link

I don't know, can you find any references to accessing this capability
through an API? I couldn't.

Steven Burn 07-29-2004 08:11 PM

Re: asp zip files and present link

Are you talking about the same one that was introduced into XP.......?

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Carol 07-30-2004 01:33 AM

Re: asp zip files and present link

yes

Steven Burn 07-30-2004 03:11 AM

Re: asp zip files and present link

Aslong as you have given sufficient permissions to your server, you should
be able to access it via VBScript.... though you'd need to check the MSDN
VBScript reference to confirm it......

Personally I'd not advise using it though as it's no-where near as complete
or reliable as dedicated zip component's.

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Aaron [SQL Server MVP] 07-30-2004 12:50 PM

Re: asp zip files and present link

> Aslong as you have given sufficient permissions to your server, you should
> be able to access it via VBScript.... though you'd need to check the MSDN
> VBScript reference to confirm it......

I actually don't think there's any API or other interface to it, so I don't
think you can get to it programmatically, unless you can find all the system
calls that are made behind the scenes when you use it in the GUI. Even if
it were trivial (which I doubt), you would likely have to run the ASP page
as a highly elevated user / administrator...

Carol 07-30-2004 01:17 PM

Re: asp zip files and present link

ok thanks

Jeff Cochran 07-30-2004 03:25 PM

Re: asp zip files and present link

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 04:11:40 +0100, "Steven Burn" <pvt@noyb.com>
wrote:

>Aslong as you have given sufficient permissions to your server, you should
>be able to access it via VBScript.... though you'd need to check the MSDN
>VBScript reference to confirm it......

I sure don't see any references for it, no API's listed at all. But
then, I won't vouch for anything not existing on MSDN just because a
search on MSDN didn't find it. :)

BTW, Google didn't turn up anything either.

Jeff