Velocity Reviews

-   -   How do I use ASP to download a file that has particular ntfs permissions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t795369-how-do-i-use-asp-to-download-a-file-that-has-particular-ntfs-permissions.html)

travelling_nerd 07-12-2004 05:09 PM

How do I use ASP to download a file that has particular ntfs permissions

Hi,

I'm trying to write a script that will allow validated users to
download a file that has specific ntfs permissions. Here's a summary:

Scenario:
1) The name of the file is "binary.zip".
2) I've created a local account on the server called "dl_user".
3) dl_user is the only account that has permissions on binary.zip.
4) I've written a script that validates several people to access a web
page that has a link to binary.zip. However whenever they click it,
they get prompted for a username and pw. If they enter the "dl_user"
credentials, it works.

Problem:
I don't want these people to be prompted for the username and pw.
Instead, I'd like IIS, through some ASP mechanism, to pass the dl_user
credentials in the background so that the users are completely unaware
of the account that has NTFS permissions to the file. Is there any way
to do this?

Patrice 07-12-2004 06:57 PM

Re: How do I use ASP to download a file that has particular ntfs permissions

You could also store the file somewhere else and stream it s content to the
browser using an ASP page...

--

news:960eff8b.0407120909.267041e1@posting.google.c om...

travelling_nerd 07-13-2004 03:54 AM

"Patrice" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<uHIFeIEaEHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> You could also store the file somewhere else and stream it s content to the
> browser using an ASP page...

Thanks for the suggestion. Currently I have a redirect to the file,
however, if someone knows the absolute http path to the file, they can
get to it.

Do you have any examples of "streaming files to browser"?

Thanks.

travelling_nerd 07-13-2004 03:56 AM

Re: How do I use ASP to download a file that has particular ntfs permissions

That's a good tip. Thanks.

Patrice 07-13-2004 07:52 AM

Re: How do I use ASP to download a file that has particular ntfs permissions

See :
http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-us;276488
(How To Use the ADODB.Stream Object To Send Binary Files to the Browser
through ASP)

This one may also helps :
(shows how to raise the download dialog)

Patrice

--

news:960eff8b.0407121954.5f428514@posting.google.c om...