Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   ASP General (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f65-asp-general.html)
-   -   Concurrent Web- and direct access to an Access DB (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t795246-concurrent-web-and-direct-access-to-an-access-db.html)

CJM 07-02-2004 09:58 AM

Concurrent Web- and direct access to an Access DB
 
I'm setting up some web-based (ASP) reports that query an Access DB. I also
want certain people to be able to access and manipulate the database
directly.

However, if the database is open in Access, I cant access it via ASP:

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'
Could not use ''; file already in use.



Is there anyway the web application and direct-access users can peacefully
coexist? I know Access isnt really strong on concurrent access, but I figure
it ought to at least be able to handle this...

Thanks

Chris



Bob Barrows [MVP] 07-02-2004 12:02 PM

Re: Concurrent Web- and direct access to an Access DB
 
CJM wrote:
> I'm setting up some web-based (ASP) reports that query an Access DB.
> I also want certain people to be able to access and manipulate the
> database directly.
>
> However, if the database is open in Access, I cant access it via ASP:
>
> Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'
> Could not use ''; file already in use.
>
>
>
> Is there anyway the web application and direct-access users can
> peacefully coexist? I know Access isnt really strong on concurrent
> access, but I figure it ought to at least be able to handle this...
>


This IS covered at http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009 - 80004005 errors

All users of a Jet database need read/write (Change) permissions for the
folder containing the database. This includes the IUSR account.

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
"NO SPAM"



CJM 07-02-2004 03:16 PM

Re: Concurrent Web- and direct access to an Access DB
 

"Bob Barrows [MVP]" <reb01501@NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
news:%23BLJ3xCYEHA.2388@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> CJM wrote:
> > I'm setting up some web-based (ASP) reports that query an Access DB.
> > I also want certain people to be able to access and manipulate the
> > database directly.
> >
> > However, if the database is open in Access, I cant access it via ASP:
> >
> > Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'
> > Could not use ''; file already in use.
> >
> >
> >
> > Is there anyway the web application and direct-access users can
> > peacefully coexist? I know Access isnt really strong on concurrent
> > access, but I figure it ought to at least be able to handle this...
> >

>
> This IS covered at http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009 - 80004005

errors
>
> All users of a Jet database need read/write (Change) permissions for the
> folder containing the database. This includes the IUSR account.
>
> Bob Barrows
>


It IS covered, however, it DOESNT solve my problem, hence the reason I
posted...



Bob Barrows [MVP] 07-02-2004 03:55 PM

Re: Concurrent Web- and direct access to an Access DB
 
CJM wrote:
> "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <reb01501@NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
> news:%23BLJ3xCYEHA.2388@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> CJM wrote:
>>> I'm setting up some web-based (ASP) reports that query an Access DB.
>>> I also want certain people to be able to access and manipulate the
>>> database directly.
>>>
>>> However, if the database is open in Access, I cant access it via
>>> ASP:
>>>
>>> Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'
>>> Could not use ''; file already in use.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Is there anyway the web application and direct-access users can
>>> peacefully coexist? I know Access isnt really strong on concurrent
>>> access, but I figure it ought to at least be able to handle this...
>>>

>>
>> This IS covered at http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009 - 80004005
>> errors
>>
>> All users of a Jet database need read/write (Change) permissions for
>> the folder containing the database. This includes the IUSR account.
>>
>> Bob Barrows
>>

>
> It IS covered, however, it DOESNT solve my problem, hence the reason I
> posted...


Sorry, I missed the part in your original post where you said you had read
this article ... ;-)

As long as all users (including the IUSR and IWAM accounts) have filesystem
permissions to the folder containing the database, there should be no
problem. It works fine for me. I guess you need to provide some more
information.

Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
"NO SPAM"



[MSFT] 07-05-2004 02:55 AM

RE: Concurrent Web- and direct access to an Access DB
 
Hello,

In MS Access, if you choose "Open Read only" to open the access file, will
you open it in ASP? If you only need to query the Access database, you may
add "Mode=Read;" in the connection string. Will this help

Luke



CJM 07-05-2004 08:17 AM

Re: Concurrent Web- and direct access to an Access DB
 
"Bob Barrows [MVP]" <reb01501@NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
news:OPmEB0EYEHA.3972@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> As long as all users (including the IUSR and IWAM accounts) have

filesystem
> permissions to the folder containing the database, there should be no
> problem. It works fine for me. I guess you need to provide some more
> information.
>


I'm going to check all my facts this morning just to make sure I havent
missed anything.. I'll repost when I have confirmed what is happening.

tx

CJM



CJM 07-05-2004 08:20 AM

Re: Concurrent Web- and direct access to an Access DB
 
Luke,

I've already tried this. Well, rather than modify my connections string, I
set the connection objects mode property instead, which should have the same
effect - but didnt.

As I said to Bob, I'll check for loose ends and will repost shortly...

Chris

"[MSFT]" <lukezhan@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:28DcLujYEHA.3316@cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
>
> In MS Access, if you choose "Open Read only" to open the access file, will
> you open it in ASP? If you only need to query the Access database, you may
> add "Mode=Read;" in the connection string. Will this help
>
> Luke
>
>




CJM 07-06-2004 09:27 AM

Re: Concurrent Web- and direct access to an Access DB
 
Still no nearer a solution...

As I understand it, I should be able to access & edit the DB via MS Access
at the same time that a web app accesses the the DB (read only). Obviously,
if the web app tries to access records opened in the MS Access application,
an error is expected...

KB174943 (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=174943) states that the IUSR user
needs sufficient privileges; for both my development machine (XP) and the
live server (Win2k3), the IUSR user has Full rights to the whole application
directory. Indeed, I even added the IUSR user on the XP machine to the local
administrators group.

If I open the DB in Access as Read Only, I can run the web app at the same
time.

Any further thoughts or ideas?

Chris



Bob Barrows [MVP] 07-06-2004 10:58 AM

Re: Concurrent Web- and direct access to an Access DB
 
CJM wrote:
> Still no nearer a solution...
>
> As I understand it, I should be able to access & edit the DB via MS
> Access at the same time that a web app accesses the the DB (read
> only). Obviously, if the web app tries to access records opened in
> the MS Access application, an error is expected...
>
> KB174943 (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=174943) states that the
> IUSR user needs sufficient privileges; for both my development
> machine (XP) and the live server (Win2k3), the IUSR user has Full
> rights to the whole application directory. Indeed, I even added the
> IUSR user on the XP machine to the local administrators group.
>
> If I open the DB in Access as Read Only, I can run the web app at the
> same time.
>
> Any further thoughts or ideas?
>
> Chris


If the web application's protection setting is High(Isolated). then the IWAM
account is the user, not the IUST account, and therefore it needs Change
permissions for the folder containing the database. The issue is that all
users of the database file need to have the ability to create, modify, and
delete the .lck (lock) file in that same directory/folder. "Full"
permissions is not needed, only Change permissions. Don't go crazy here:
users do not need to be administrators, or anything that extreme. They do
not need to have permissions for the whole application folder. They need to
be able to Change files in the database folder. If you have granted them
those permissions and it is still not working, then more permissions is not
the answer.

Are we dealing with a database on a remote machine? If so, the IUSR account
has to become a domain user.

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
"NO SPAM"



CJM 07-06-2004 11:59 AM

Re: Concurrent Web- and direct access to an Access DB
 

"Bob Barrows [MVP]" <reb01501@NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
news:uUdijg0YEHA.2500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> If the web application's protection setting is High(Isolated). then the

IWAM
> account is the user, not the IUST account, and therefore it needs Change
> permissions for the folder containing the database. The issue is that all
> users of the database file need to have the ability to create, modify, and
> delete the .lck (lock) file in that same directory/folder. "Full"
> permissions is not needed, only Change permissions. Don't go crazy here:
> users do not need to be administrators, or anything that extreme. They do
> not need to have permissions for the whole application folder. They need

to
> be able to Change files in the database folder. If you have granted them
> those permissions and it is still not working, then more permissions is

not
> the answer.
>


The application protection is set to Medium (Pooled).

The KB article suggest assigning the IUSR user to the local administrators
group as a quick check. Needless to say, it won't be left that way.

> Are we dealing with a database on a remote machine? If so, the IUSR

account
> has to become a domain user.
>


No... in both cases the DB is local to the web server.

[However, I will soon have to access an Access DB on a remote machine to
I've made a mental note about the domain user issue - thanks]

Chris




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.