Velocity Reviews

-   -   jscript or vbscript? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t794754-jscript-or-vbscript.html)

Bruce W.1 06-02-2004 10:50 PM

jscript or vbscript?

Do most people use vbscript or jscript to control their ASP pages? I'm
trying to decide which to learn.

Thanks for your help.

Steven Burn 06-02-2004 10:56 PM

Re: jscript or vbscript?

I personaklly use VBScript........ with a little JScript when necessary
(rarely)

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Ray at 06-02-2004 11:01 PM

Re: jscript or vbscript?

Most people use VBScript. If you're going the down the web-developer path,
you'll wind up learning both, though. For client-side scripting, you should
always use javascript/jscript. But, for your server-side ASP code, you'll
find that 99% of the sample code out there is in VBScript. Also, if you ask
questions and don't specify what language you're using, I think that 99% of
the world will assume VBScript.

I also suggest that you skip it all and just get into ASP.net if you're not
yet familiar with either ASP (classic) or ASP.net.

Ray at hoem

Bruce W.1 06-02-2004 11:29 PM

Re: jscript or vbscript?

Ray at <%=sLocation%> [MVP] wrote:

> Most people use VBScript. If you're going the down the web-developer path,
> you'll wind up learning both, though. For client-side scripting, you should
> always use javascript/jscript. But, for your server-side ASP code, you'll
> find that 99% of the sample code out there is in VBScript. Also, if you ask
> questions and don't specify what language you're using, I think that 99% of
> the world will assume VBScript.
>
> I also suggest that you skip it all and just get into ASP.net if you're not
> yet familiar with either ASP (classic) or ASP.net.
>
> Ray at hoem

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm already a MCP for ASP.NET. Now I'm
backtracking because there's so much existing ASP out there, and it's
still being widely used.

Ray at 06-03-2004 02:54 AM

Re: jscript or vbscript?

> ================================================== ===
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I'm already a MCP for ASP.NET. Now I'm
> backtracking because there's so much existing ASP out there, and it's
> still being widely used.

This is the first I heard of anyone learning backwards like that, but I
think it's an excellent idea! You're right - ASP.classic is everywhere.

Ray at home

Tim Slattery 06-03-2004 12:50 PM

Re: jscript or vbscript?

"Bruce W.1" <bw@noDirectEmail.com> wrote:

>Do most people use vbscript or jscript to control their ASP pages? I'm
>trying to decide which to learn.

For client-side scripting, use JavaScript. If you write client side
script in VBScript, only IE will be able to run it, Netscape, Opera,
Mozilla products will not have a chance.

For server-side ASP scripting, most people use VB Script. I think
that's mainly because MS has always favored it (since it's their
proprietary language) and the large majority of examples you'll see
use VBScript. (The MSDN documentation does give examples in both
languages.)

Ultimately, which language you use server-side is a matter of personal
preference.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)