Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can multi queries be done in ASP pages? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t794379-can-multi-queries-be-done-in-asp-pages.html)

Lord Merlin 05-10-2004 08:52 PM

Can multi queries be done in ASP pages?

The following statement works fine in SQL Query Analyser: SELECT count(*) as
a from NEWUSERS WHERE activated='Y'; SELECT count(*) as b from NEWUSERS
WHERE activated='N' -- It returns two values, yet when I have it in a .asp
file, it only displays the first value. Is there anyway around this, without
making two connections to the DB, and running two seperate queries?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends
(John 15:13).

William Morris 05-10-2004 08:57 PM

Re: Can multi queries be done in ASP pages?

Sure. Assuming your recordset variable is "rs" then try this:

dim firstvalue, secondvalue
firstvalue = rs("a")
set rs = rs.nextRecordset
secondvalue = rs("b")
rs.close
set rs = nothing

- Wm

--
William Morris
Product Development, Seritas LLC

Bob Barrows [MVP] 05-10-2004 08:59 PM

Lord Merlin wrote:
> The following statement works fine in SQL Query Analyser: SELECT
> count(*) as a from NEWUSERS WHERE activated='Y'; SELECT count(*) as b
> from NEWUSERS WHERE activated='N' -- It returns two values, yet when
> I have it in a .asp file, it only displays the first value. Is there
> anyway around this, without making two connections to the DB, and
> running two seperate queries?

Why not combine them into a single query?

SELECT activated,Count(*) from NEWUSERS
GROUP BY activated

Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Aaron Bertrand - MVP 05-10-2004 09:32 PM

Re: Can multi queries be done in ASP pages?

Not that this is a deterrent from your method, but I would bet that
activated allows NULLs, so you might want to add WHERE activated IN ('Y',
'N') or WHERE activated IS NOT NULL or something along those lines. Or,
don't allow NULLs in the column in the first place. ;-)

(Otherwise, you will get three rows in your resultset.)

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP