Velocity Reviews

-   -   dynamic form values (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t793591-dynamic-form-values.html)

Dave Karmens 02-26-2004 09:49 PM

dynamic form values

If I have say 10 fixed variables, how can I set their values = to that
of a form that is built dynamically?

column1 column2
email = formvalue(0)
fname = formvalue(1)
lname = formvalue(2)

etc..

lastvar = formvalue(9)

Ray at 02-26-2004 10:02 PM

Re: dynamic form values

What do you mean? <input type="text" value="<%=variableName%>">

Ray at work

Dave Karmens 02-26-2004 10:07 PM

Re: dynamic form values

No, I would need to loop though the values of a drop down list and
assign value1 to email, value2 to fname...

Ray at 02-26-2004 10:10 PM

Re: dynamic form values

When, when the page is submitted? When it is loaded? Can you explain this
in a little more detail?

Adrian Forbes [ASP MVP] 02-26-2004 10:19 PM

Re: dynamic form values

> No, I would need to loop though the values of a drop down list and
> assign value1 to email, value2 to fname...

When you have a drop-down box only the selected item is submitted with the
form, the non-selected values are "lost"

Dave Karmens 02-26-2004 10:40 PM

Re: dynamic form values

A user will fill out the dropdown list and hit submit - a form will then
map the constants to the form values to build a SQL string that will
be passed to a stored procedure.

Dave Karmens 02-26-2004 10:42 PM

Re: dynamic form values

Yes, I don't want the non-selected values.

The form is built dynamically from an uploaded .csv -- the first line of
the .csv is loaded into a drop down list. There is another, static list
that matches up with those values.

Ray at 02-26-2004 11:56 PM

Re: dynamic form values

So, you'll have an unknown number of values to assign to an unknown number
of variables? What about putting them in an array? If I fill out your
form, and I enter these terms in your select box:

cat
bird
ferret

what is the ultimate goal as far as what your SQL string will look like?

Ray at home

Dave Karmens 02-27-2004 02:09 PM

Re: dynamic form values

Hey Ray, thanks for sticking in...

I'll have an unknown number of values loaded from the .CSV, but no more
than 10. There will also be a fixed number of variables to assign them
to. If there is only 7 loaded the rest will be set to "".

The .csv might have user user_email, first_name, last_name so they would
map those to the fixed values email, fname, lname.

The SQL string is a very simple insert:

insert into tbl_test (email, fname, lname)
values ('"&user_email&"','"&first_name&"','"&last_name&"' )

This is the basic idea:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
</head>
<option name="none" value="none">none</option>
<option name="user_email" value="user_email">user_email</option>
<option name="user_fname" value="user_fname">user_fname</option>
<option name="user_lname" value="user_lname">user_lname</option>
</select></td>

Ray at 02-27-2004 04:06 PM

Re: dynamic form values

In that case, split your select value and assign the values to your
variables, like:

On Error Resume Next
firstvar = Request.Form("select")(1)
secondvar = Request.Form("select")(2)