Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Firebird - html underline probs (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t7932-re-firebird-html-underline-probs.html)

Gnomalarta 06-24-2003 07:39 PM

Re: Firebird - html underline probs

Whilst decanting a beer Gnomalarta smiled when he saw that AC had written
in news:fhftAJAW5D++IAJa@candt.demon.co.uk:

> version
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.4b) Gecko/20030516
> Mozilla Firebird/0.6
>
> I am a new user of Firebird, and am getting to like it, I am also a
> novice web page creator, with no less than 2 pages so far....
> So I am unsure about - well you name it, I am unsure.
>
> However, my page is displaying most text as underlined, instead of just
> the leading phrase, as intended (and I think, coded).
>
> It displays ok in IE
>
> There *is* a bug listed to do with inheritance of underline in html, and
> form, but I don't know enough to say it is the same one etc, nor enough
> to be a useful bug forum direct contributor.
>
> Typical problem line of code is:

> Reading - on Oxford Road, turn left up Wantage Road, and 2nd left into
> Wilton Road. (Close to Battle Library,
> on opposite side of Oxford Road, two roads back). </p>
>
> where only the leading phrase is required to be underlined.
>
> When I view the webpage (internet), all the text is underlined (!), but
> when I save just this code and locally use firebird, it is not
> underlined, and when originally creating the page, I think it was all
> displaying ok.
>
> Any suggestions please? If it is a bug in this version/build then
> perhaps someone would help to register it too?
>
> incidentally, the web page in question is
> http://www.users.waitrose.com/~acberk/
>
> Thanks

AC,
The problem is not Firebird but this line:

comes after the Age Concern address line. You have a spurious Underline (U)
tag openned at the beginning of the line which is never closed. Remove that
and all should be fine. As an aside, I think that you may well have other
problems using FrontPage and your coding will certainly be bloated!

A good piece of freeware to check your coding for errors is CSL HTML
Validator Lite ( http://www.htmlvalidator.com/lite/ )

M$ have designed IE in such a way that it will stab at what was intended
when coding is wrong, other browers tend to be more or less strict about
coding.

By the way, I know the area you are writing about as I spent my teenage
years in Tilhurst and went to Battle School!

Charlie.
www.peartreegreen.org