Velocity Reviews

-   -   ASP Email Form and SPAM Filters (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t792441-asp-email-form-and-spam-filters.html)

Jay 01-05-2004 04:25 PM

ASP Email Form and SPAM Filters

Hello all,

I'm using CDO to send email from an ASP form on my website. This has been
working great for the past year or so until last week. On January 2nd we
noticed that the majority of the messages coming in were missing a lot of
information. After testing it myself I found that it wasn't a user error. I
did a response.write on my content string and found that it is populated
correctly. I then tried another contact form on another website on our same
server to find the same problem.

Beginning on January 1 our ISP (also our web host) installed a SPAM filter
for our incoming email. Does anyone think that this could be the problem?

I'm going to reboot our web server at 10:30am CST and see if that solves
anything but I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything
similar to this.

Thank you for your comments,

- J

Stefan Berglund 01-05-2004 05:56 PM

Re: ASP Email Form and SPAM Filters

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 10:25:28 -0600, "Jay" <jerry280@yahoo.com>
wrote:
in <eaGcJi60DHA.1188@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>

>Hello all,
>
>I'm using CDO to send email from an ASP form on my website. This has been
>working great for the past year or so until last week. On January 2nd we
>noticed that the majority of the messages coming in were missing a lot of
>information. After testing it myself I found that it wasn't a user error. I
>did a response.write on my content string and found that it is populated
>correctly. I then tried another contact form on another website on our same
>server to find the same problem.
>
>Beginning on January 1 our ISP (also our web host) installed a SPAM filter
>for our incoming email. Does anyone think that this could be the problem?
>
>I'm going to reboot our web server at 10:30am CST and see if that solves
>anything but I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything
>similar to this.
>
>Thank you for your comments,
>
>- J

I had a problem with Verizon refusing and/or delaying email from
my ISP which required weeks to remedy, but if you're missing
information from messages that sounds more like a problem in your
ASP script.

Jay 01-05-2004 06:18 PM

"Stefan Berglund" <keepit@in.thegroups> wrote in message
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 10:25:28 -0600, "Jay" <jerry280@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> in <eaGcJi60DHA.1188@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>
>
> >Hello all,
> >
> >I'm using CDO to send email from an ASP form on my website. This has been
> >working great for the past year or so until last week. On January 2nd we
> >noticed that the majority of the messages coming in were missing a lot of
> >information. After testing it myself I found that it wasn't a user error.

> >did a response.write on my content string and found that it is populated
> >correctly. I then tried another contact form on another website on our

same
> >server to find the same problem.
> >
> >Beginning on January 1 our ISP (also our web host) installed a SPAM

filter
> >for our incoming email. Does anyone think that this could be the problem?
> >
> >I'm going to reboot our web server at 10:30am CST and see if that solves
> >anything but I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything
> >similar to this.
> >
> >Thank you for your comments,
> >
> >- J
> >

> I had a problem with Verizon refusing and/or delaying email from
> my ISP which required weeks to remedy, but if you're missing
> information from messages that sounds more like a problem in your
> ASP script.

That's what I thought originally. However, this has been working for over a
year up until the 2nd of January. There is no date funciton in teh script
and it happens on two different websites on the same server. When I
response.write the content variable it shows everything just fine. I'm
stumped. We're going to turn off the SPAM filter for a day and see how it
works after that as a process of elimination. I've also recently completed a
virus scan on the server which came up clean.

- J

Jay 01-05-2004 07:12 PM

Re: ASP Email Form and SPAM Filters UPDATE

"Jay" <jerry280@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I'm using CDO to send email from an ASP form on my website. This has been
> working great for the past year or so until last week. On January 2nd we
> noticed that the majority of the messages coming in were missing a lot of
> information. After testing it myself I found that it wasn't a user error.

> did a response.write on my content string and found that it is populated
> correctly. I then tried another contact form on another website on our

same
> server to find the same problem.
>
> Beginning on January 1 our ISP (also our web host) installed a SPAM filter
> for our incoming email. Does anyone think that this could be the problem?
>
> I'm going to reboot our web server at 10:30am CST and see if that solves
> anything but I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything
> similar to this.

I just redirected the email to my personal home account and it worked just
fine.
No virus found on the web server.
Reboot did not solve problem.

Jay 01-05-2004 07:42 PM

Re: ASP Email Form and SPAM Filters FIXED

"Jay" <jerry280@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I'm using CDO to send email from an ASP form on my website. This has been
> working great for the past year or so until last week. On January 2nd we
> noticed that the majority of the messages coming in were missing a lot of
> information. After testing it myself I found that it wasn't a user error.

> did a response.write on my content string and found that it is populated
> correctly. I then tried another contact form on another website on our

same
> server to find the same problem.
>
> Beginning on January 1 our ISP (also our web host) installed a SPAM filter
> for our incoming email. Does anyone think that this could be the problem?
>
> I'm going to reboot our web server at 10:30am CST and see if that solves
> anything but I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything
> similar to this.

Turns out that I was using vbCr for carriage returns in my code (stuff I
wrote when I was first learning ASP). Our new SPAM filter also has a virus
checker that didn't like the vbCr in the code and removed everything between
them. After updating all of my vbCr to vbCrLf all works fine agian.

- J

Stefan Berglund 01-05-2004 10:03 PM

Re: ASP Email Form and SPAM Filters FIXED

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 13:42:23 -0600, "Jay" <jerry280@yahoo.com>
wrote:
in <O42RLQ80DHA.2528@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>

>"Jay" <jerry280@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm using CDO to send email from an ASP form on my website. This has been
>> working great for the past year or so until last week. On January 2nd we
>> noticed that the majority of the messages coming in were missing a lot of
>> information. After testing it myself I found that it wasn't a user error.

>> did a response.write on my content string and found that it is populated
>> correctly. I then tried another contact form on another website on our

>same
>> server to find the same problem.
>>
>> Beginning on January 1 our ISP (also our web host) installed a SPAM filter
>> for our incoming email. Does anyone think that this could be the problem?
>>
>> I'm going to reboot our web server at 10:30am CST and see if that solves
>> anything but I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything
>> similar to this.

>Turns out that I was using vbCr for carriage returns in my code (stuff I
>wrote when I was first learning ASP). Our new SPAM filter also has a virus
>checker that didn't like the vbCr in the code and removed everything between
>them. After updating all of my vbCr to vbCrLf all works fine agian.
>
>- J

Glad you've got it sorted. In the future please don't start a
new thread for every reply as it makes for a very disjointed
conversation.