Velocity Reviews

-   -   Add more than 1 record at once ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t792433-add-more-than-1-record-at-once.html)

David 01-05-2004 09:46 AM

Add more than 1 record at once ?

Hi,

Quick question.

I have a form on an asp page which is used to add additional users to
the DB, i.e. adding a UserID (PK on table), Password & Email.

The companies are allowed a max of 3 users. If the company only has
the default 1 user and wishes to add another 1 or 2, then the form
displays the current user details, not in text boxes as this is not an
adit data form. The additional user/s can be entered into 1/2 rows of
text boxes, user 2 & 3.

If they decide to add 2 new users, how do I add the additional 2
records to my db table on submit ?

I am using a MySQL DB.

This is the code I have from an update form which can edit the default
user.
How can I change this code to add the 2 new records ?

<%

vUser = request.form("user")
vPass = request.form("pass")
vEmail = request.form("email")

uSQL = "UPDATE OrderStatusAccess SET "
uSQL = uSQL & "UserID= '" & vUser & "'"
uSQL = uSQL & ", Password = '" & vPass & "' "
uSQL = uSQL & ", Email ='" & vEmail & "'"
uSQL = uSQL & " WHERE CustomerID='" & session("customer") & "';"

Set RS = adoDataConn.Execute(uSQL)
%>

Thanks for your help

David

Bob Barrows 01-05-2004 12:34 PM

Re: Add more than 1 record at once ?

David wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quick question.
>
> I have a form on an asp page which is used to add additional users to
> the DB, i.e. adding a UserID (PK on table), Password & Email.
>
> The companies are allowed a max of 3 users. If the company only has
> the default 1 user and wishes to add another 1 or 2, then the form
> displays the current user details, not in text boxes as this is not an
> adit data form. The additional user/s can be entered into 1/2 rows of
> text boxes, user 2 & 3.
>
> If they decide to add 2 new users, how do I add the additional 2
> records to my db table on submit ?
>
> I am using a MySQL DB.
>

> This is the code I have from an update form which can edit the default
> user.
> How can I change this code to add the 2 new records ?

> <%
>
> vUser = request.form("user")
> vPass = request.form("pass")
> vEmail = request.form("email")
>
> uSQL = "UPDATE OrderStatusAccess SET "
> uSQL = uSQL & "UserID= '" & vUser & "'"
> uSQL = uSQL & ", Password = '" & vPass & "' "
> uSQL = uSQL & ", Email ='" & vEmail & "'"
> uSQL = uSQL & " WHERE CustomerID='" & session("customer") & "';"
>
> Set RS = adoDataConn.Execute(uSQL)

Why "Set RS"??? This query is not returning a record! Why force ADO to go to
the time and trouble of creating a recordset object that will simply be
discarded? Do this instead:

adoDataConn.Execute uSQL,,129

(129 is the addition of two constants: adCmdText (1) and adExecuteNoRecords
(128) - your queries will execute more efficiently if you specify the
commandtype and execution options instead of making ADO guess)

> %>
> __________________________________________________ ________
>

> Thanks for your help
>

> David

Create 2 INSERT statements using the passed values and execute them as
above.

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

David Gordon 01-05-2004 12:59 PM

Re: Add more than 1 record at once ?

Thanks Bob,

I have this code:

for i = 1 to 2 (either 1 or 2 records added)

vUser = request.form("user")
vPass = request.form("pass")
vEmail = request.form("email")

uSQL = "INSERT into OrderStatusAccess "
uSQL = uSQL & "UserID= '" & vUser & "'"
uSQL = uSQL & ", Password = '" & vPass & "' "
uSQL = uSQL & ", Email ='" & vEmail & "'"

uSQL = uSQL & " WHERE CustomerID='" & session("customer") & "';"

adoDataConn.Execute uSQL,,129

next

How do I adjust this code to accept the multiple records from the form ?

I get the following error:

SQLState: 42000
Native Error Code: 1064
[TCX][MyODBC]You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that
corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use
near 'UserID= '', Password = '' , Email ='' WHERE CustomerID='20'' at

Thanks
David

Aaron Bertrand - MVP 01-05-2004 02:12 PM

Re: Add more than 1 record at once ?

An INSERT statement looks like this:

INSERT tablename(columnname, columnname) VALUES('value', 'value')

There is no columnname = value syntax in an INSERT.

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP