Velocity Reviews

-   -   ASP & SQL help (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t791960-asp-and-sql-help.html)

*** HAWK 12-03-2003 12:16 PM

ASP & SQL help

I previously posted but didnt have much response. I have written out what
exactly I am trying to do with my ASP site again but hopefully clearer.

I am making a site will emulate something like hmv.com or cdwow.com - a
website that allows users to view information of albums that are stored in a
seperate access database.

Ok. My database called 'cdshop.mdb' has 3 tables as follows:
1 - 'tblMusicAlbums'
2 - 'tblMusicTracks'
3 - 'tblPasswords' (not to concerned about this one for the time being)

Fields in 'tblMusicAlbums' are: "AlbumID" "AlbumTitle" "Artist"
"MusicCategoryID" "Label" "ReleaseDate" "NumberOfTracks"

Fields in 'tblMusicTracks' are:
"TrackID" "AlbumID" "TrackNumber" "TrackTitle"

Fields in 'tblPasswords' are:
"Username" "Password"

I am making an *.asp file that will connect to the database using a DSN-Less
connection at home (although this is for testing purposes at home - I will
need to alter this to a DSN connection once its completed)
I have both DSN & DSN-less connections working so this isn't a problem for
now.

The main priorities of the site are as follows:
Using a series of input fields /jump menus / submit buttons the visitor must
be able to do the following:
1 - Obtain a list of ALL CD's in the database listed A-Z by Artist
2 - Obtain a list of CD's by a certain artist listed by release date
3 - Obtain a list of CD's whose price is within a range (minimum & maximum)
as specified by the user.
4 - Obtain a list of titles of the tracks on any selected CD
5 - CD's whose overall CD title or track titles contains a keyword input by
the visitor
6 - Create an login that will enable only 'admin users' to obtain a list of
CD's in order of interest as measured by the number of equiries about each
CD retrieved in requirement 4 (eg no of hits per CD/Album)

The database contains 20+ albums (only small scale for this purpose is
needed). Using SQL to perform the actions as mentioned earlier. The database
is made in MS Access (*.mdb format)

Thanks. let me know if this isn't very clear. remember I am somewhat a
beginner to ASP so please be gentle with me :-)

Tom B 12-03-2003 01:27 PM

Re: ASP & SQL help

Again, what's the problem?
It sounds like you have everything figured out. So I'm confused, you seem
to know how to connect to your database and I assume you know how to pull
out the data.

Are you having trouble creating the SQL statements? If so, use Access'
query designer to create a query, then switch to SQL view to have a peek at
how it wrote the statement.

Are you having trouble navigating the results? If so, look for any message
from Bob Barrows, it'll explain how to open a recordset, convert it to an
array and display it. I'm exagerrating, not all of Bob's posts are on this
topic, but he's a strong proponent of this approach.

How many pages are you creating? It looks like you should go this
route.....

Start page - has the search options available.
Search Results page - obviously returns the results based on the
type of search, with hyperlinks to the Details page
Details page - the tracks and other information of
the selected CD.

Admin Login page - linked to from the Start Page, this will
have your login logic in it
Admin Reports page - links to the reports you need.
Reports pages - I'd create a page for each report
unless they are going to be nearly identical

Start with the basics - get the search results page working. And post
SPECIFIC problems as they arise.

Tom
P.S. I only replied to the ASP general group

news:3fcdd41b$0$23812$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com ...

Bhaskardeep Khaund 12-03-2003 01:27 PM

Re: ASP & SQL help

Hi,

i understood ur site, but whats the problem you are facing???????

Bhaskardeep Khaund

Bob Barrows 12-03-2003 01:45 PM

Re: ASP & SQL help

*** HAWK wrote:
> I previously posted but didnt have much response. I have written out
> what exactly I am trying to do with my ASP site again but hopefully
> clearer.

<snip>
> Fields in 'tblPasswords' are:
> "Username" "Password"

"Password" is a reserved keyword that should not be used for database object
names. If you can, rename this field. Otherwise you will be required to
surround it with brackets [] whenever you use it in a query run by ADO. Here
is the list of reserved words which you should avoid when naming your tables
and fields:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2080

<snip>
> I am making an *.asp file that will connect to the database using a
> DSN-Less connection at home (although this is for testing purposes at
> home - I will need to alter this to a DSN connection once its
> completed)

Why??? Don't use the obsolete ODBC connection! Use the native Jet OLEDB
provider. (www.able-consulting.com/ado_conn.htm)

<snip>
> The main priorities of the site are as follows:

<snip of well-thought-out design specs>

So what do you want from us? Do you want somebody to write this application
for you? Perhaps you should be hiring a consultant.

Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Jeff Cochran 12-03-2003 02:23 PM

Re: ASP & SQL help

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 12:16:41 -0000, "*** HAWK"
<nosharemailHAWK@INVALID.mail.com.Invalid> wrote:

>I previously posted but didnt have much response. I have written out what
>exactly I am trying to do with my ASP site again but hopefully clearer.
>
>I am making a site will emulate something like hmv.com or cdwow.com - a
>website that allows users to view information of albums that are stored in a
>seperate access database.
>
>Ok. My database called 'cdshop.mdb' has 3 tables as follows:
>1 - 'tblMusicAlbums'
>2 - 'tblMusicTracks'
>3 - 'tblPasswords' (not to concerned about this one for the time being)
>
>Fields in 'tblMusicAlbums' are: "AlbumID" "AlbumTitle" "Artist"
>"MusicCategoryID" "Label" "ReleaseDate" "NumberOfTracks"
>
>Fields in 'tblMusicTracks' are:
>"TrackID" "AlbumID" "TrackNumber" "TrackTitle"
>
>Fields in 'tblPasswords' are:
>"Username" "Password"
>
>I am making an *.asp file that will connect to the database using a DSN-Less
>connection at home (although this is for testing purposes at home - I will
>need to alter this to a DSN connection once its completed)
>I have both DSN & DSN-less connections working so this isn't a problem for
>now.
>
>The main priorities of the site are as follows:
>Using a series of input fields /jump menus / submit buttons the visitor must
>be able to do the following:
>1 - Obtain a list of ALL CD's in the database listed A-Z by Artist

SELECT * FROM tblMusicAlbums ORDER BY Artist

>2 - Obtain a list of CD's by a certain artist listed by release date

{Get ArtistName from form}
SELECT * FROM tblMusicAlbums WHERE Artist = 'ArtistName' ORDER BY
ReleaseDate

>3 - Obtain a list of CD's whose price is within a range (minimum & maximum)
>as specified by the user.

No can do. You don't have a field for album price. If you had one,
you could use a BETWEEN in your WHERE clause to get what you want.

>4 - Obtain a list of titles of the tracks on any selected CD

{GetAlbum from form}
SELECT * FROM tblMusicTracks WHERE AlbumID = 'Album'

>5 - CD's whose overall CD title or track titles contains a keyword input by
>the visitor

{Get SearchTerm from form}
SELECT AlbumID FROM tblMusicAlbums, tblMusicTracks WHERE
tblMusicAlbums.AlbumTitle LIKE 'SearchTerm' OR
tblMusicTracks.TrackTitle LIKE 'SearchTerm'

>6 - Create an login that will enable only 'admin users' to obtain a list of
>CD's in order of interest as measured by the number of equiries about each
>CD retrieved in requirement 4 (eg no of hits per CD/Album)

You don't provide a mechanism to track these hits, so you can't do
this until you create one.

>The database contains 20+ albums (only small scale for this purpose is
>needed). Using SQL to perform the actions as mentioned earlier. The database
>is made in MS Access (*.mdb format)
>
>Thanks. let me know if this isn't very clear. remember I am somewhat a
>beginner to ASP so please be gentle with me :-)

Well, start with the various ASP database tutorials (use Google or
aspin.com to find them) and the simple queries. Check sqlcourse.com
for a primer on query language. Other than the JOIN in #5 above the
query is pretty simple and is basically selecting what you display.
Note that this particular query language *should* work in Access, but
you can always create a query in the Access GUI that does what you
need, then look at the query in SQL view and use that query syntax
directly in your ASP code.

Jeff