Velocity Reviews

-   -   executing shell commands in asp (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t791493-executing-shell-commands-in-asp.html)

mlay 11-09-2003 05:56 AM

executing shell commands in asp

Hi,

I'm trying to execute a Windows command in ASP. For example, this is a
snippet of what I have right now:
WshShell.Run("notepad", 1, true)
Set WshShell = Nothing

The strange thing is that notepad.exe actually appears under the list of
processes in Task Manager, but its window does not show up on the server's
desktop; the client's browser just sort of hangs. I'm led to believe that
this has something to do with IIS permissions, but I'm not certain. If
anyone could help out, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Meng

Ray at 11-09-2003 06:06 AM

Re: executing shell commands in asp

What you're failing to realize is that the notepad.exe process is launching
under the IUSR's processes, and the IUSR isn't logged onto the machine with
a desktop. You won't see it on the server's desktop.

Ray at home

Aaron Bertrand [MVP] 11-09-2003 03:25 PM

Re: executing shell commands in asp

Why would you want to execute an exe with a GUI from ASP? Who's going to
sit at the server waiting to interact with a GUI?