Velocity Reviews

-   -   Login failed for user 'machinename\ASPNET' (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t79142-login-failed-for-user-machinename-aspnet.html)

=?Utf-8?B?TWFuZGFyIFBhdGls?= 05-26-2004 04:26 PM

Login failed for user 'machinename\ASPNET'

I am getting following error
Login failed for user 'machinename\ASPNET
when tryiong to do the following:
SqlDataAdapter1.Fill(DataSet11
This user is never specified in the database and never mentioned anywhere in the code. I am creating sqldataadapter with wizard in VB Dot net 200
Regard

Cowboy 05-26-2004 06:08 PM

Re: Login failed for user 'machinename\ASPNET'

Sounds like you are using Windows Security on your SQL Server instead of
mixed mode. In this instance, it would take the logged in user and attempt
to log on to SQL as that person. YOu would then get this error.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!
"Mandar Patil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I am getting following error:
> Login failed for user 'machinename\ASPNET'
> when tryiong to do the following:
> SqlDataAdapter1.Fill(DataSet11)
> This user is never specified in the database and never mentioned anywhere

in the code. I am creating sqldataadapter with wizard in VB Dot net 2003

=?Utf-8?B?TWFuZGFy?= 05-26-2004 08:21 PM

Re: Login failed for user 'machinename\ASPNET'

ASPNET is not user on the machine and machinename\ASPNET is also not the SQL server instance.

Donald E. Hurley Jr. 05-26-2004 09:39 PM

Re: Login failed for user 'machinename\ASPNET'

The ASPNET account is the default user for ASPNET.

Are you trying to connect to the database with Integrated security, or do
you specify a username/pass.

If you try to use integrated security and you have anonymous access turned
on, it will use the ASPNET account to try to connect to SQL Server. Try
specifing a UserName/Password.

IE.

packet size=4096;integrated security=SSPI;data source=dhurley3;persist
security info=False;initial catalog=Northwind

or

packet size=4096;user id=sa;data source=dhurley3;persist security
info=False;initial catalog=Northwind;password=pass;

Hope this helps.

Jeff Dillon 05-26-2004 10:21 PM

Re: Login failed for user 'machinename\ASPNET'

That is the problem. Add this user logon to SQL Server

Scott Allen 05-27-2004 04:05 AM

Re: Login failed for user 'machinename\ASPNET'

Mandar:

In this case you have several options:

- use a "mirrored" local account on the SQL machine, meaning you'll
create an ASPNET account on the SQL machine, synchronize passwords for
the ASPNET account on the web server and SQL machine, and give the
ASPNET account the ability to login to SQL. There is a more detailed
description of how to do this in the following document:

Building Secure ASP.NET Applications: Authentication, Authorization,
and Secure Communication
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...SecNetHT01.asp

- run the ASP.NET worker process in the context of a user who can
access SQL

- use mixed mode authentication (pass a uid and password in the
connection string)

HTH,

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com

On Wed, 26 May 2004 13:21:13 -0700, Mandar

=?Utf-8?B?TWFuZGFy?= 05-27-2004 07:11 PM

RE: Login failed for user 'machinename\ASPNET'

Thanks
I changed the sql server authentication to SQL authentication
Mandar