Velocity Reviews

-   -   can electrical fields block wireless transfer? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t7914-can-electrical-fields-block-wireless-transfer.html)

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iIEI=?= 11-14-2005 05:48 AM

can electrical fields block wireless transfer?

We have a laptop PC on our treadmill. The laptop can detect our wireless home
network when the treadmill is stationary, but as soon as we start walking,
the laptop cannot detect the home network.

The treadmill & laptop are very close to the home portal/wireless
transmitter -- almost directly underneath, 1 floor below.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

KiwiBJ 11-14-2005 06:48 AM

Re: can electrical fields block wireless transfer?

I have noticed that when our microwave oven is operating, the transfer speed
of our wireless network decreases quite considerably, as soon as the
microwave stops the normal transfer speed returns, the kitchen is directly
between our laptop & access point.

Pavel A. 11-14-2005 11:03 PM

Re: can electrical fields block wireless transfer?

Yes, wireless network adapters are sensitive to various kinds
of EM interference. Unfortunately you need professional equipment
in order to measure the interference and understand how to get rid of it.
--PA