Velocity Reviews

-   -   Obtaining Width and Height for an Image (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t789258-obtaining-width-and-height-for-an-image.html)

Sharlet 08-07-2003 08:02 AM

Obtaining Width and Height for an Image

I am having a problem here. I have an ASP page which
displays different images according to the querystring and
the images are all of different sizes. However, in some
browsers the image overlaps with the text next to it
occasionally.

I guess by specifying the "width" and "height" of the
image in the HTML should solve the problem. However, I do
not want to store the width and height of each image in
the database. (There are too many of them!) Is there any
function I can use in my ASP page to obtain the width and
height of an image?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Bullschmidt 08-07-2003 09:14 AM

Re: Obtaining Width and Height for an Image

Determining Image Properties through ASP by Mike Shaffer - 5/3/2000

Best regards,
http://www.Bullschmidt.com

Aaron Bertrand - MVP 08-07-2003 02:24 PM

Re: Obtaining Width and Height for an Image

> I guess by specifying the "width" and "height" of the
> image in the HTML should solve the problem. However, I do
> not want to store the width and height of each image in
> the database. (There are too many of them!) Is there any
> function I can use in my ASP page to obtain the width and
> height of an image?

Well, if you use a script to store these elements in your database *once*,
you will avoid (at the cost of 8 bytes per row).

I would seriously consider storing the data in the database, rather than
using that processing *every* time you load the image.

See the bottom half of http://www.aspfaq.com/2170

Chris Barber 08-07-2003 02:35 PM

Re: Obtaining Width and Height for an Image

I've used a little DLL called 'BitmapLibrary' to do this and it works a
treat.

http://www.internext.co.za/stefan/bitmapsize/

Chris.

Sharlet 08-08-2003 10:02 AM

Obtaining Width and Height for an Image

Thanks all for your suggestions. You learn something new
every day. I thought there might be an easier solution
such as a built-in function to do that. I guess in that
case I'd better put them all in the database. (*sign*)

Chris Barber 08-08-2003 06:28 PM

Re: Obtaining Width and Height for an Image

Why not code it so that it updates the database itself the first time you
request an image?

Best of both worlds! Add new images to your hearts content and just watch
the database populate itself as the web runs.