Velocity Reviews

-   -   passing javascript variable into asp variable using vbscript (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t788111-passing-javascript-variable-into-asp-variable-using-vbscript.html)

Jonas Daunoravicius 07-01-2003 05:56 PM

passing javascript variable into asp variable using vbscript

The subject pretty much sums up what I need to do. Here is what I
have so far, but still can't figure out how to get it working:

function fillForm()
{
// split the query string into pieces
var qs = location.search.substr(location.search.indexOf("?" )+1);
qs = qs.split("&");
alert(qs); // qs is the variable that I need to pass into a
// vbscript var. This actually works up to here.
'<%the_name%>' = qs // this line does not work, but is what I need
// to do.
}
</script>

later in the code:
<%
Response.write ("<script>fillForm();</script>")
Response.write("This is the variable: " & the_name)
%>

On the page it obviously comes up as "This is the variable: " and that
is it...blank for the_name.

I need to use javascript to get the variables out of the url, such as:
http://www.x.com/test.asp?Dell%20Computer%20Corp
qs will then end up being "Dell Computer Corp" and I need to make a
vbscript variable to also be that so I can query/load/etc certain
stuff in asp to display on the site.

Thanks for your help!

- Jonas

Comcast 07-02-2003 12:33 AM

Re: passing javascript variable into asp variable using vbscript

I don't think it is possible, because the vbscript (the server code) will
always be executed before the page ever reaches the browser where the
javascript is executed. Please correct me if I am wrong. I wish someone
would post a website or write a book on the subject of communication between
server-side and client-side scripts.

Phil

news:fab603b3.0307010956.594dd73@posting.google.co m...

AlwaysLearning 07-02-2003 05:07 AM

Jonas Daunoravicius 07-02-2003 12:43 PM

Re: passing javascript variable into asp variable using vbscript

I had actually figured out using what you Richard and John mentioned
yesterday late afternoon. You know how it is when you work on
something for hours and hours and then all of a sudden you just get it
to work! :) What you guys said makes sense though and my problem was
that I didn't know you could do all of that just in vbscript. It even
ends up being cleaner also. All I ended up doing, just like you guys
said is:

where i is a vbscript variable from a database

and then in the next page:
the_name = request.querystring("prod")

prod has %20 for spaces and the_name just has spaces. It is exactly
what I was looking for.

Thanks guys for you input.

- Jonas

Jonas Daunoravicius 07-02-2003 08:59 PM

Re: passing javascript variable into asp variable using vbscript

Mike, thanks so much...that is even better now cause now all I needed to do is:

the_name = Replace(the_name, "%20", " ")

and I get exactly what I want!

Thanks for all of your inputs...have a good July 4th.

- Jonas

Peter 07-17-2003 04:54 AM

Re: passing javascript variable into asp variable using vbscript

Alternatively use the javascript escape function to encode your "&" into a
%Code. Then unescape it before using it.

Peter.

news:fab603b3.0307021259.72c20f86@posting.google.c om...