Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to configure a PC with dial-up ICS and a wireless router and wireless laptop? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t7879-how-to-configure-a-pc-with-dial-up-ics-and-a-wireless-router-and-wireless-laptop.html)

Rich 11-10-2005 04:02 PM

How to configure a PC with dial-up ICS and a wireless router and wireless laptop?

I need help. I've searched for an answer and gone through customer
support hell with no joy. Is there an expert that can define the
configuration that I need?

I am running a desktop PC with an internal dial-up modem running XP
Pro. I have a NetGear WGT624v2 wireless router that I want to use
with my wireless laptop that is running XP Home.

I want to share the dial-up internet connection over the wireless
network to provide access by my laptop. Plus all the usual file and
printer sharing features. The shared printers are connected to the
desktop system.

I have connected my desktop to one of the router ports. The broadband
port of the router is not connected. I have set up the router for
DHCP and set it's IP addr to 192.168.0.1. I have successfully shared
files and printers between the desktop and the laptop.

HOWEVER- when I attempt to invoke ICS on the desktop I receive a
message that another device is at 192.168.0.1. I think this must be
the router.

I am ignorant of how to configure this system to work with ICS. I
have gotten some instructions from NetGear support which do not work.
They have given up and told me to call their premium support line. I
suspect that I need to use a non-standard setup but this is nearly my
first experience with a wireless router and I am at a loss to proceed.
There is a lot of setup configuration options in the NetGear manual
that I simply don't understand how to use or why I might need to use.
Maybe the key is in these setups and I just don't know it.

In the past I have been able to connect two PCs with a crossover cable
(no router) and share files, printers, and ICS. I am going to confirm
that I can do this with my notebook today, but I am very certain this
will not be a problem.

Experts: Can you help me out?

TIA, Rich

=?Utf-8?B?TmlsbA==?= 11-10-2005 05:31 PM

RE: How to configure a PC with dial-up ICS and a wireless router and w

"Rich" wrote:

> I need help. I've searched for an answer and gone through customer
> support hell with no joy. Is there an expert that can define the
> configuration that I need?
>
> I am running a desktop PC with an internal dial-up modem running XP
> Pro. I have a NetGear WGT624v2 wireless router that I want to use
> with my wireless laptop that is running XP Home.
>
> I want to share the dial-up internet connection over the wireless
> network to provide access by my laptop. Plus all the usual file and
> printer sharing features. The shared printers are connected to the
> desktop system.
>
> I have connected my desktop to one of the router ports. The broadband
> port of the router is not connected. I have set up the router for
> DHCP and set it's IP addr to 192.168.0.1. I have successfully shared
> files and printers between the desktop and the laptop.
>
> HOWEVER- when I attempt to invoke ICS on the desktop I receive a
> message that another device is at 192.168.0.1. I think this must be
> the router.
>
> I am ignorant of how to configure this system to work with ICS. I
> have gotten some instructions from NetGear support which do not work.
> They have given up and told me to call their premium support line. I
> suspect that I need to use a non-standard setup but this is nearly my
> first experience with a wireless router and I am at a loss to proceed.
> There is a lot of setup configuration options in the NetGear manual
> that I simply don't understand how to use or why I might need to use.
> Maybe the key is in these setups and I just don't know it.
>
> In the past I have been able to connect two PCs with a crossover cable
> (no router) and share files, printers, and ICS. I am going to confirm
> that I can do this with my notebook today, but I am very certain this
> will not be a problem.
>
> Experts: Can you help me out?
>
> TIA, Rich

ICS uses 192.168.0.1 as the IP of the DHCP server (ICS is the DHCP server).
Set up your router to not use DHCP and just act as an access point (check
your manual), run ICS setup on the desktop to get ICS up and running. Then
setup ICS on your laptop and it will get it's IP from the desktop. Then
whenever the laptop or the desktop try to access the internet, the desktop
will dial out and connect and share the connection with the network.
--
Nill