Velocity Reviews

-   -   XML Wrapper? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t786594-xml-wrapper.html)

JeffP@Work 10-02-2006 03:06 PM

XML Wrapper?

I am very confused so please understand that this question may not be well
formed.

I need to work with a WS that requires a wrapper, nesting of the XML,
perhaps this is not a good phrase, but I'm not sure where to begin.

** Any articles or links, books are appreciated **

My only WS experience is using a WS similar to a DLL or .vb file in my web
project.

Now I have to connect to someone else's WS and I've been given alot of XML
structures.

I had assumed that when .Net connected to a WDSL any calls to the named WS
were sent as XML and that I didn't need to form XML, other than to make my
call with the proper sequence, type and value for any variables for the
webmethod.

In the past I think that my XML have been implemented similar to.....

The following pseudo code snipit I get, although I may not state it 100%
correctly here...
.... from w/in my webapp
..... assuming a Ref to the WS has been made...
Prvt Sub NewReq(CaseNo as String, Date as String, Other Values... as )

..... validation and getting of any other req. values to pass in...

If NewRequest.Send(CaseNo as String, Date as String, Other Values... as ) =
"Submitted" Then
.... do something...
End If

End Sub

.... which sends XML similar to....
<NewRequest Send>
<CaseNo/>
<Date/>
<Other Values..../>
</NewRequest Send>

****** Here's the new stuff that is confusuing for me....

Now I have to pass similar that is like a wrapper with an outside auth
handled at my client and a request obejct that passes in the NewRequest.
<OutSide XML>
<Auth>
<MyValidated UserID/>
<Auth/>
<Request>
<Request Date>
<Request Type>
</Request>
<Inside XML New Request>
<CaseNo/>
<Date/>
<Other Values..../>
</Inside XML New Request>
<OutSide XML>

And it gets better, I also have to receive back a <Response and process
that..... which I might think is handled w/in my "NewReq" noted above.

Any direction would be appreciated.....

JeffP.....

JeffP@Work 10-03-2006 02:07 PM

Re: XML Wrapper?

Jeff,

In contrast to calling a function or a dll you may wish to consider as if
you were about to write a document using DOM, but instead of writing a
phyical XML document you'll be passing the resulting XML as a string into
the an outer method.

So, you will be calling the method that you called <OutSide XML similar to
your familar call to a function or dll most likley as....

NewRequest(Auth as object, Request as object) as string

Where Request contains your DOM XML string returning some Response as string
of XML

<NewRequest XML>
<Auth/>
<Request>