Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is Serialization done with Soap or XmlSerializer (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t786249-is-serialization-done-with-soap-or-xmlserializer.html)

cmay 06-08-2006 04:16 PM

Is Serialization done with Soap or XmlSerializer

For some reason, I had it in my head that if you were passing classes
to/from webservices, they were serialized using the
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Soap.SoapF ormatter.

But it seems like the examples I am looking at now (in .Net 2.0) are
using the XmlSerializer to serialize types for transmittal.

1) Is this correct that it uses the xmlserializer and not the
soapformatter
2) was it always this way, or is this new in .net 2.0?

cmay 06-10-2006 09:20 PM

Re: Is Serialization done with Soap or XmlSerializer

Someone has to know the answer to this.

Josh Twist 06-11-2006 05:51 PM

Re: Is Serialization done with Soap or XmlSerializer

Hi Cmay,

ASP.NET WebServices (.asmx) use the XmlSerializer
(System.Xml.XmlSerialization) to serialize your classes, which are then
embedded into a soap body.

WCF (Windows Communication Foundation, formerly 'Indigo') services
don't use the XmlSerializer by default, but can be configured to do so.

I think the SoapFormatter you mention is primarily in .NET remoting.

Josh