Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is MSMQ a viable alternative to web services? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t786078-is-msmq-a-viable-alternative-to-web-services.html)

Thirsty Traveler 04-20-2006 09:46 PM

Is MSMQ a viable alternative to web services?

I love web services and think they are appropriate for many SOA situations,
but am thinking that perhaps there is an element that if we have a hammer
all the world looks like a nail.

IOW, we have a situation where batch reports will be generated and stored on
a file server. This is an asynchronous process. I am thinking that in this
situation, MSMQ may be more appropriate for feeding the raw batch data than
web services.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the pros/cons of one approach vs. another.