Velocity Reviews

-   -   Deploying a web service (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t785383-deploying-a-web-service.html)

Jerry Camel 09-28-2005 03:04 PM

Deploying a web service

I created a web service and a consumer - both work just happily on my local
machine. I now want to move the web service to a corporate development
server ( and eventually into production)...

Do I just copy the stuff from my local inetpub to the new server? And do I
have to recompile the consumer evey time I relocate the service? I'm sure
there must be a proper methodology for this, but I'm just not seeing it.
Thanks.

Jerry

Peter Kelcey 09-28-2005 04:33 PM

Re: Deploying a web service

You can away with just using xCopy deployment if you want. You can just
copy the ".asmx, .asax, .config" files and the dll files in your bin
directory to your new server. If you do this, you will need to ensure
that your website and virtual directory are already setup and
configured properly. However, I would recommend using a web setup
project to do the deployment for you.

Web setup packages all you to do all kinds of usefull things, such as
defining the configuration parameters for your virtual directory,
checking for prerequisite software such as IIS and the .NET framework,
check for older versions of your service and your service will show
under the add/remove programs folder. I believe is a better way to
deploy web services into a production environement.

You do not need to recompile the consumer everytime you relocate the
service. In the web reference properties, change the URL Behaviour
property from Static to Dynamic. Now this webservice URL will be stored
in the app.config file. You can change the reference in the app.config
file to the live site at any time.

Peter Kelcey

Jerry Camel 09-28-2005 04:52 PM

Re: Deploying a web service

Thanks, Peter... I think that clears some of it up for me.

news:1127925186.872848.204150@g47g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

serge calderara 11-23-2005 04:01 PM

Re: Deploying a web service

HI peter,

I follow what you mentionned and set my URL to dynamic
Then build a web setup project on my server

If I access directly to my .asmx file with explorer it works fine
Then if I run my web application, I get an HTTP error 404 "File not found"

I have check that my App seting for the url are correct

Any idea?

thnaks
serge