Velocity Reviews

-   -   huge Dataset over webservice (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t783333-huge-dataset-over-webservice.html)

Darie Florin 06-23-2004 08:06 PM

huge Dataset over webservice

I have a web method that return a huge dataset (2Mb). I am interested to
know if there is a method to maximize the transfer speed of this dateset
over the internet.

Marsh Lion 06-24-2004 09:15 PM

Re: huge Dataset over webservice

"Darie Florin" <darief@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a web method that return a huge dataset (2Mb). I am interested

> know if there is a method to maximize the transfer speed of this dateset
> over the internet.

I have been investigating this for some time and the best solution I have
come accross is to compress the dataset (I'm still ironing out some minor
details in mine) and decompress it once downloaded. I know that your average
56k modem will compress it during the transfer, but it is generally better
to use your own compression scheme/library (as this will make sure that
faster internet connections will also use compression).

As a side issue I haven't found any compression functions built into Visual
Studio (.NET) and my research on the net has said that VB doesn't have any
built in functions that support the zip format. The compression library I am
using is zlib (www.zlib.org).

--
Marsh Lion aka Brian Barnes

Darie Florin 06-26-2004 10:41 AM

Re: huge Dataset over webservice

Thanks for your idea,
I used this library for my dataset and a method that download the dataset in
3-4 Min now dowload in 5-6 Seconds and the time for
compression/decompression is verry small.