Velocity Reviews

-   -   A test can be opened only within a test Project Error (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t780476-a-test-can-be-opened-only-within-a-test-project-error.html)

Dave 02-02-2008 02:56 AM

A test can be opened only within a test Project Error

Having issues with a "Web Test" project.

The project was created by Test => New Test => Web Test. Everything is fine
until I exit the IDE and then re-open the solution. When I try to open the
..WebTest file, the following error is issued:

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
---------------------------
Visual Studio could not open the file
"C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Trax\TraxReportsTest\rptTimePe riodReturnsMultipleNames.webtest"
because the file contains tests. A test can be opened only within a test
project. Add the file to a test project, add the test project to the open
solution, and then try again.
----------------------------

The .webtest is in the "Web Test" project described above.

What is the cause of this error and how can it be avoided? I can't afford
to create new Test Projects everytime I open the IDE.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Steven Cheng[MSFT] 02-04-2008 03:47 AM

RE: A test can be opened only within a test Project Error

Hi Dave,

From your description, you're encountering some problem open a webtest file
in your visual studio (2005? ) project, correct?

As for the WebTest, you created throught "Test-->NewTest ...", then do you
already have a web application(project) opened or you create a new
project/solution through "Test-->New Test"? As the error message indicate,
a webtest file must be embeded in a test project, I'm wondering whether
there is anything incorrect with the container project. I've performed a
simple test on my side via the following steps:

** open an existing ASP.NET web project (hosted in IIS)

** "Test-->New Test" and create a new Web Test in the project(also create
a new Test Project inside the solution that contain the original web
project)

** close the IDE and open it again, it seems the webtest file can be opened
correctly.

therefore, I think this should be a solution or project specific issue. For
general test, you can also try create a new solution and copy all the
original projects into the new one to see whether the problems can be
eliminated.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------

Dave 02-05-2008 02:36 AM

RE: A test can be opened only within a test Project Error

You seem to be correct...there appears to be a problem with one of the
projects (but I'll be durned if I can figure out what). Thanks for your
help.

Steven Cheng[MSFT] 02-05-2008 05:40 AM

RE: A test can be opened only within a test Project Error

Thanks for your reply,

If you meet any new problem need help, please feel free to post here.

<JudvjCuZIHA.4200@TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl>
>Subject: RE: A test can be opened only within a test Project Error
>Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 18:36:01 -0800

>You seem to be correct...there appears to be a problem with one of the
>projects (but I'll be durned if I can figure out what). Thanks for your
>help.
>
>"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> From your description, you're encountering some problem open a webtest

file
>> in your visual studio (2005? ) project, correct?
>>
>> As for the WebTest, you created throught "Test-->NewTest ...", then do

you
>> already have a web application(project) opened or you create a new
>> project/solution through "Test-->New Test"? As the error message

indicate,
>> a webtest file must be embeded in a test project, I'm wondering whether
>> there is anything incorrect with the container project. I've performed

>> simple test on my side via the following steps:
>>
>> ** open an existing ASP.NET web project (hosted in IIS)
>>
>> ** "Test-->New Test" and create a new Web Test in the project(also

create
>> a new Test Project inside the solution that contain the original web
>> project)
>>
>> ** close the IDE and open it again, it seems the webtest file can be

opened
>> correctly.
>>
>> therefore, I think this should be a solution or project specific issue.

For
>> general test, you can also try create a new solution and copy all the
>> original projects into the new one to see whether the problems can be
>> eliminated.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Steven Cheng
>>
>> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

>> ications.

issues

follow
>> professional working with you may need further investigation to reach

the
>> most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for

situations
>> project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are

best
>> handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by

contacting
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...t/default.aspx.

rights.