Velocity Reviews

-   -   Using a Forms authentication in a shared hosting environment (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t780337-using-a-forms-authentication-in-a-shared-hosting-environment.html)

JEFF 11-09-2007 10:54 PM

Using a Forms authentication in a shared hosting environment

I am using a logon control in a shared hosting environment. When I do I get
the following run time error:

The SSE Provider did not find the database file specified in the
connection string. At the configured trust level (below High trust
level), the SSE provider can not automatically create the database file.

I know that is because I am using SQL express edition on my development
machine but I am looking for general advice on using Forms authentication in
a shared hosting environment. I have never done it and my host is being
very helpful.

Here is my default.aspx

<script runat="server">
</script>
<head runat="server">
<title>Untitled Page</title>
</head>
<form id="form1" runat="server">
&nbsp;
<asp:Login ID="Login1" runat="server">
</asp:Login>
</form>

Here is my web.config

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
<appSettings/>
<connectionStrings/>
<system.web>
<compilation debug="false" strict="false" explicit="true" />
<pages>
<namespaces>
<clear />
<add namespace="System" />
<add namespace="System.Collections" />
<add namespace="System.Collections.Specialized" />
<add namespace="System.Configuration" />
<add namespace="System.Text" />
<add namespace="System.Text.RegularExpressions" />
<add namespace="System.Web" />
<add namespace="System.Web.Caching" />
<add namespace="System.Web.SessionState" />
<add namespace="System.Web.Security" />
<add namespace="System.Web.Profile" />
<add namespace="System.Web.UI" />
<add namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls" />
<add namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts" />
<add namespace="System.Web.UI.HtmlControls" />
</namespaces>
</pages>
<authentication mode="Forms" />
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

JEFF 11-12-2007 02:51 AM

Best practices for using forms authentication and security in a hosted env (was: Re: Using a Forms authentication in a shared hosting environment)

Changing title and cross posting as it looks like my original post was to
the wrong newsgroup. Can anyone point me to some documentation or best
practices for using Forms authentication in a hosted environment?

THANKS!
JEFF

brians[MCSD] 11-12-2007 07:00 PM

RE: Best practices for using forms authentication and security in a ho

Hello Jeff,

I am a big fan of the book Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Security, Membership,
and Role Management. Has alot of good information.

--
brians
http://www.limbertech.com