Velocity Reviews

-   -   Button that just calls a sub (and does NOT submit the form) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t779699-button-that-just-calls-a-sub-and-does-not-submit-the-form.html)

paul.richards@shropshirefire.gov.uk 03-19-2007 11:18 AM

Button that just calls a sub (and does NOT submit the form)

Hi,

I want a button that just calls a subroutine (rather than submitting a
form). So, I have done this:

<asp:Button id="btNewNetworkProvider" text="New"
commandname="newprovider" onclick="newprovider" runat="server"/>

and:

Sub newprovider(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)
End Sub

However when I press the button it just submits the form. There is
already another button that does the submit and I have tried setting:

<form id="Form1" defaultbutton="btSubmit" ..

but this has changed nothing.

Regards,

Paul

Bruno Piovan 03-19-2007 04:14 PM

Re: Button that just calls a sub (and does NOT submit the form)

The Button control is rendered as <input type="submit"> by default, so
clicking the button will make a post, I would suggest you to to either use
Ajax to make the post "invisible" or you can add a Button and set the
OnClientClick to something like "window.open('page.aspx'); return false;",
this will popup a new window where page.aspx would call your sub and close
itself.

have a look at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ods/open_0.asp
if you want to make change the properties of the popup window. Remember that
some popup blockers may stops this popup from opening.

Bruno

news:1174303126.285269.307140@l77g2000hsb.googlegr oups.com...

marss 03-20-2007 11:57 AM

Re: Button that just calls a sub (and does NOT submit the form)

paul.richards@shropshirefire.gov.uk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want a button that just calls a subroutine (rather than submitting a
> form). So, I have done this:
>
> <asp:Button id="btNewNetworkProvider" text="New"
> commandname="newprovider" onclick="newprovider" runat="server"/>
>
> and:
>
> Sub newprovider(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)
> End Sub

You can't execute a subrutine on the server-side without the form
submission if you use the usual ASP.Net controls. If you familiar with
javascript you can use XmlHttpRequest.
If not - here ajax.asp.net you can find some convenient controls that
utilize it.
To be honest: this contols also submit a form but they do not cause
page reloading and the submission is not visible for the user of your
site.