Velocity Reviews

-   -   style question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t777925-style-question.html)

David Thielen 04-10-2006 05:47 PM

style question

Hi;

When displaying a record (not editing - just displaying) and I am displaying
it in a FormView because what is shown depends on some of the record values,
what do you think works best:

1) Label or TextBox w/ TextBox.Enabled=false for the text fields?
2) For radio & check boxes - A Label stating the value, or a
RadioList/CheckBox.Enabled=false to display it?

--
thanks - dave
david_at_windward_dot_net

Phillip Williams 04-10-2006 06:58 PM

RE: style question

I think that this is a question of personal preferences. I prefer the labels
for display. I am inclined to not use disabled input controls for normal
display. I would only disable input controls upon conditional processing to
indicate to the user that certain options cannot be combined on the same
request. The input controls (whether textboxes, checkboxes or radio buttons)
usually invite the user to click on them, so if the purpose were only to
display the information, I would convert them to labels.
--
HTH,
Phillip Williams