Velocity Reviews

-   -   Master Pages for .NET 1.1 Question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t77791-master-pages-for-net-1-1-question.html)

Warren J. Hairston 05-10-2004 08:34 PM

Master Pages for .NET 1.1 Question

Hi all,

I've written a simple test program using both the ASP.NET team's Master
Pages implementation for .NET 1.1 as well as Andy Smith's improved version
at the MetaBuilders web site. Each of my pages stores the information
entered on the web form into a SQL Server database. Worked fine before I
converted to the Master Pages scheme.

After the conversion, the pages still operate as expected BUT the only thing
saved to the database are NULL strings! It appears as if I cannot retrieve
the data from the form fields after PostBack - everything comes back as an
empty string.

Any ideas????? Thanks in advance!

clintonG 05-10-2004 09:19 PM

Re: Master Pages for .NET 1.1 Question

I can't be of any immediate help but thhis is an area I have an
interest in and have been wondering what the fundamental differences
will be between what some have developed using 1.1 and what
the 2.0 offering will provide.

Have you any ideas or comments?

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXTmetromilwaukee.com

Natty Gur 05-11-2004 06:17 AM

Re: Master Pages for .NET 1.1 Question

Hi,

I didn't saw such a behavior in 1.1 or in 2.0 versions but I never used
Andy Smith's improved version. If you try a page that behave as you
mention without Andy Smith's improved version I'll be happy if you
e-mail it to me : natty(at)Dao2com(dot)com.

Natty Gur[MVP]

blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

Warren J. Hairston 05-11-2004 02:12 PM

Re: Master Pages for .NET 1.1 Question

I think I may have figured out what's happening...

Some of my code references

MyValue = Request.Form["ControlName"];

on PostBack to retrieve the values. If I change this to something like

MyValue = ControlName.Text;

to retrieve the values then things seem to work. Evidentally the names of
the controls are being placed inside a new naming container under the
MasterPages for .NET 1.1 scheme, making their "real" names into something
more lengthy. By referencing them directly instead of through their assumed
naming container, the compiler can find them correctly.

Appreciate the offers for help!