Velocity Reviews

-   -   XP won't automatically connect to my wireless network (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t7727-xp-wont-automatically-connect-to-my-wireless-network.html)

John 10-19-2005 08:06 AM

XP won't automatically connect to my wireless network

Hi,

I'm having a slightly annoying problem with my wireless setup.

I have Windows XP SP2 with a Linksys WMP11 wireless card, connecting to
a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router (plugged into my cable modem - I'm
just using it to connect to the internet). This works fine, with WEP
enabled.

The problem is that it won't connect automatically when I start up my
PC. A bubble appears in my system tray telling me that a preferred
network is in range. I open the available network dialog and my
network is there with a status of 'Automatic'. I have to manually
click on 'Connect' to actually connect to this network, though.

I've checked all the check boxes to enable automatic connection and it
is the only network in my preferred list. I've rechecked the WEP key
in the settings and it is fine.

The automatic connection has worked previously, though and nothing
major has changed since (e.g. it worked under XP SP2). It's not a big
problem, just an inconvenience.

Have I missed something obvious? The connection itself works, it just
won't automatically connect.

Thanks,

John.

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?= 10-21-2005 12:07 PM

RE: XP won't automatically connect to my wireless network

John --

I was hoping that someone would answer your question as I've been having
exactly the same problem. I finally fixed it (I think) -- since no one has
responded, I figured that I would share what I did:

Exactly the same problem you have -- strong signal but I could only connect
manually. Like you, the automatic connection had worked previously. Tried
reinstalling the software for the card (Linksys WPC54G) and that made things
worse. Finally removed ALL of the Linksys-installed software and reinstalled
the card using the Windows wizard and only the Linksys driver. That solved
the problem although I would be happier if I had some idea what caused the
problem in the first place.

Bob

John 10-24-2005 07:31 AM

Re: XP won't automatically connect to my wireless network

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the response.

Bit of a pain, but maybe a reinstall is the only way. I've been unable
to find any other explanation for the odd behaviour.

BTW, it does connect automatically every so often, just to add to the
confusion.

Thanks,

J.

John 11-14-2005 08:25 PM

Re: XP won't automatically connect to my wireless network

Just to follow this up. I appear to have fixed this without having to
reinstall.

Basically, the preferred network was set up correctly under Wireless
Network Connection Properties->Wireless Networks. What was missing,
though, was the SSID value under the Wireless Adapter Properites. Let
me explain:

Under XP, go to Network Connections and open the Properties page
associated with the Wireless Connection.
The 'Connect using:' field at the top should contain the name of your
wireless adapter. Click on the 'Configure...' button associated with
this and the Wireless Adapter properties window will appear. Make sure
that the SSID is populated under the Advanced tab. Mine was originally
set to Not Present, but when I entered the actual value everything
seemed to start working!

Bit odd but seemed to do the trick!

HTH,

John.

konmaan 04-01-2009 11:18 AM

This worked

I tried all of this and found this to work the first time. Yes for someone who is critical of tweaks, it was annoying but no more. Hope this is your answer as well.
Step 1: With the left mouse button, click on the 'Start' button.

Step 2: With the left mouse button, click on 'Control Panel'.

Step 3: With the left mouse button, click on 'Network and Internet Connections' (Network Connections, if in Classic View).

Step 4: With the left mouse button, click on 'Network Connections'.

Step 5: With the right mouse button, click on the 'Wireless Network Connection'.

Step 6: With the left mouse button, click on 'Properties' button.

Step 7: With the left mouse button, click on the 'Wireless Networks' tab.

Step 8: With the left mouse button, click on the name of the wireless network, under 'Preferred networks', that you want to automatically connect to.

Step 9: With the left mouse button, click on the 'Properties' button.

Step 10: With the left mouse button, click on the 'Connection' tab.

Step 11: Ensure there is a checkmark in the checkbox, next to'Connect when this network is in range'.

Step 12: With the left mouse button, click on the 'OK' button.

Step 13: With the left mouse button, click on the 'Advanced' button.

Step 14: With the left mouse button, click to select 'Access point (infrastructure) networks only ' (This will help prevent your connection from bouncing around from one network to another).

Step 15: With the left mouse button, click on the 'Close' button.

Step 16: With the left mouse button, click on the 'OK' button.

peteshovlin 10-25-2011 04:24 PM

Dear all,

sorry to reopen an old thread but I am having exactly the same problem as described below. i've followed all steps, including re-installing and the steps you outline below, still to no avail. Any thoughts?