Velocity Reviews

-   -   Page Close Event In ASP.NET?? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t76935-page-close-event-in-asp-net.html)

=?Utf-8?B?VmlubnkgVmlubg==?= 04-28-2004 07:16 PM

Page Close Event In ASP.NET??

IS There An EventHandler or Script To Catch When The Page Is Closing(similar to the Closing event in WInforms)

Thanks

Matt Berther 04-28-2004 07:28 PM

Re: Page Close Event In ASP.NET??

Hello =?Utf-8?B?VmlubnkgVmlubg==?=,

Depending on what you're trying to do... If you're trying to catch the browser window closing, then you'll need to do that via client side javascript (<body onUnload="someMethod()"/>

If you want to trap when the page gets unloaded on the server side (ie: after it's sent to the browser, your event is Page.Unload.

> IS There An EventHandler or Script To Catch When The Page Is
> Closing(similar to the Closing event in WInforms)?
>
> Thanks

Matt Berther
http://www.mattberther.com

David Jessee 04-29-2004 06:08 AM

Re: Page Close Event In ASP.NET??

If the user closes out the browser without something posting that data back
to the server, then you're out of luck.
However, if you keep track of what the user's doing, and place that data
somewhere in their session, or in a databade, then you could do something
when the user's session ends. (a result of them closing out the browser).

If you're working with IE only, then I guess you could create a client-side
javascript function that created an xmlhttp (ActiveX) object and posted the
form's information to the server as an XML document (where this function
executes on the page's onUnload Event). But that also means the function
would run every time the page posts back too. To get around this, you could
check the event's X,Y coordinates to see if it happened inside of the window
(is it happened at a negative Y coordinate, then the user clicked "x")

These are just sone random musings...Hope they help

"Vinny Vinn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I apologize for not be clear as to what i am trying to do.
>
> When the page is x out (not Redirected) i would like to save (to a

database) any data that the user entered.

=?Utf-8?B?VmlubnkgVmlubg==?= 04-29-2004 10:01 PM

Re: Page Close Event In ASP.NET??

David
Thanks for your suggestions
How would i get the x,y coordinates from the unload event?

Matt Berther 04-29-2004 10:23 PM

Re: Page Close Event In ASP.NET??

Hello David,

I've recently done something quite similar to this. However, I set up a web service that would accept the data to write it into the database.

The client browser had <body onUnload="saveData();">, with a reference to a javascript file that defined the saveData method.

This method was responsible for generating the SOAP envelope and using the XMLHTTP object to submit this to the web service.

A fairly clean implementation, if I do say so myself, given that we were targeting only IE5+.

--
Matt Berther
http://www.mattberther.com

martinkwong 08-24-2007 01:36 AM

how to set a limit to number of popups?

currently i had this weird user requirement and i was wondering if you guys got some ideas how to handle.

i need to popup a new popup everytime this particular button clicks
the maximum number of the popup is for example : 5

when the number reached 5, no more pop up is allowed.

if the current no.popup is 3, then u can only allow u click 2 more times and so on...kind of allowing only 5 instances of a popup

i was thinking of making a queue/counter which whenever there is a click on that button, they should be checked whether the queue/counter isit fulled or not, else allow it to popup using javascript. however, whenever i close the popup, is there anyway to make server knows the queue/counter to remove one slot from the queue?

i was just wondering is it possible to be done via javascript and asp.net2.0.
i know this is a stupid user requirement, but i was cracking my brains to find a logic to get this work and hope some one can give me some guidance, or am i thinking the wrong logic which makes thing complicated. thanks

:argh:
regards,
martin

werddomain 10-24-2011 06:51 AM

A simple way to do it.

I have made a control in asp.net to add this event in server-side.
You only have to add this control on the page, and you yill have an event at client side.
you can find the source of the contol at : http://www.aspfr.com/codes/ASP-NET-S...VIA_53700.aspx

the webpage is in french but the comment in source is in english.
Hope it's help other to solve this problem