Velocity Reviews

-   -   Change Password in Administration Website (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t769349-change-password-in-administration-website.html)

Herb 03-01-2007 02:43 PM

Change Password in Administration Website

My users often forget their passwords. Because of this, I have to go into the
Administration website delete and recreate them because I don't see a way to
change their password w/o knowing the existing password.

I realize that the stored procedure aspnet_Membership_ResetPassword exists,
and I will probably start using that, but I was looking for something in the
default Administration Website.

Am I missing asomething obvious?

Luke Zhang [MSFT] 03-02-2007 02:44 AM

RE: Change Password in Administration Website

Hello,

I think you consider the PasswordRecovery Class in ASP.NET. It provide a
option ofr user to get back their password with email. I think this is
better than let user reset the password, and this is also the most popular
way to handle a forgot password:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...rols.passwordr
ecovery.aspx

Sincerely,

Luke Zhang

Microsoft Online Community Support
ications.

Herb 03-02-2007 02:41 PM

RE: Change Password in Administration Website

Luke,

Thanks for the reply. Many of my users do not have email access, so this is
not a viable option.

Luke Zhang [MSFT] 03-05-2007 06:32 AM

RE: Change Password in Administration Website

Hello,

For this siuation, we have to use aspnet_Membership_ResetPassword, or
update the data in the database directly. ( The MembershipUser class
provides methods like ChangePassword or ResetPassword, but they can only be
used after a user has login in, and perform some operation like change
password. If a user forgot his password, these methods cannot be used.)