Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to deploy ASP.Net applications (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t768770-how-to-deploy-asp-net-applications.html)

Saeid Bagheri 07-08-2006 08:35 AM

How to deploy ASP.Net applications

Dear friends
i have made a web application by using ASP.Net 2003.
We use it in our compnay.
Now i want to sale this application to another company also.
Currently all files including .vb,.rpt,.xsd,.resx,.aspx are in WWWRoot
folder in my server.
I am very worry about my application source because as i mentiond all files
are accessible in WWWroot Folder.
about desktop applications as you know we can make a setup package which
will be installed and source will be safe with us.

Regarding ASP.net application i dont know how to secure my source code.
Is there any way for this reason ? what is standard way to deploy we
applications.

Please help.
Regards

Scott M. 07-08-2006 02:22 PM

Re: How to deploy ASP.Net applications

If you are using VS.NET, just hit the "Copy Project" button in the Solution
Explorer and choose "Only files needed to run application".

You should never deploy your .vb files to a production server.
The .resx files are used by VS.NET onlyl and don't contain any code to be
worried about.

All that's really needed on the server are the .aspx files, the compiled
..dll file in your bin folder (in a bin folder on the server as well) and
web.config is a good idea as well.

Henning Krause 07-08-2006 02:42 PM

Re: How to deploy ASP.Net applications

Hello,

as well

> All that's really needed on the server are the .aspx files, the compiled
> .dll file in your bin folder (in a bin folder on the server as well) and
> web.config is a good idea as well.

As well as alls client side script files, images, flash files, cascading
stylesheets...

Best regards,
Henning Krause

Scott M. 07-08-2006 10:04 PM

Re: How to deploy ASP.Net applications

Yes (but I figured that went without saying).

Saeid Bagheri 07-10-2006 02:41 PM

Re: How to deploy ASP.Net applications

Thanks alot
Please let me know how we can upload copied project to live server.
I mean, mornings we work on project and in nights we want to upload last
changed project to our production server.
in this way always we should copy entire project files ?
please explain more.
thanks alot.

Scott M. 07-10-2006 06:23 PM

Re: How to deploy ASP.Net applications

In VS.NET, just hit the "Copy Project" button in the Solution Explorer and
choose "Only files needed to run project".

If doing it manually, just copy the files we've indicated to your live
server by whatever means you have available (FTP, etc.).