Velocity Reviews

-   -   UTF-8 with signature & UTF-8 without signature (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t76566-utf-8-with-signature-and-utf-8-without-signature.html)

JJBW 04-23-2004 11:44 AM

UTF-8 with signature & UTF-8 without signature

Hi

I am creating some aspx files in Visual Studio 2003 for a Danish web
site.

The page is encoded as UTF-8 - However, when I save the the aspx file
as "UTF-8 without signature" the Danish characters are not
displayed correctly, when I choose to save the file as "UTF-8 with
signature" the characters are displayed correctly.

Can anyone explain the difference between UTF-8 with signature & UTF-8
without signature ?

Does saving the file as "UTF-8 with/without signature" render Codepage
attribute in the aspx file useless ?

Thanks in advanced.

JJBW

Joerg Jooss 04-24-2004 10:21 AM

Re: UTF-8 with signature & UTF-8 without signature

JJBW wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am creating some aspx files in Visual Studio 2003 for a Danish web
> site.
>
> The page is encoded as UTF-8 - However, when I save the the aspx file
> as "UTF-8 without signature" the Danish characters are not
> displayed correctly, when I choose to save the file as "UTF-8 with
> signature" the characters are displayed correctly.

Yes, same here.

> Can anyone explain the difference between UTF-8 with signature & UTF-8
> without signature ?

I guess the term "signature" refers to the UTF-8 byte order mark (aka
"BOM"), an optional three byte sequence (0xEF 0xBB 0xBF) at the beginning of
an UTF-8 byte stream identifying it as, um, UTF-8.

> Does saving the file as "UTF-8 with/without signature" render Codepage
> attribute in the aspx file useless ?

Well, the declared Codepage and and true physical encoding must of course
match. Since this is true when you specify Codepage="65001" and save the
file as UTF-8 without BOM, I guess it's a bug in the ASP.NET page
translator.

Cheers,

--
Joerg Jooss