Velocity Reviews

-   -   Adapter does not connect to Linksys router when SSID broadcast is disabled (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t7656-adapter-does-not-connect-to-linksys-router-when-ssid-broadcast-is-disabled.html)

Ray 10-08-2005 08:24 AM

Adapter does not connect to Linksys router when SSID broadcast is disabled

Hi there,

I installed a Linksys BEFW11S4 v4 router and use a Linksys WUSB11 v4 adapter
(ISP: Casema Wanadoo Cable / Motorola SURFboard Cable modem; OS: WindowsXP
sp2). I secured my wireless network by using WPA (PSK), client MAC address
list restriction, renaming the SSID and password, and by disabling SSID
broadcast.

In the beginning, when I visited webpages, the pages and pictures were
distorted or did not show up at all; they were being downloaded only
partially. The cause of this problem appeared not to have anything to do
with MTU values, but with the Norton Firewall 2001 version. The excellent
(and free) Linksys helpdesk helped me solve this problem.

Now that I upgraded the firewall, I run into a new problems (of course). My
wireless network adapter only connects to my wireless router when SSID
broadcast is ENabled. It does not, or hardly ever, connect when SSID
broadcast is DISabled. What could be causing this? Of course I want to keep
SSID broadcast disabled.

Further info: I used to be able to see my own SSID in the list of available
wireless networks, even when SSID broadcast was disabled (strangely enough);
currently, it only shows up in this list when I enable SSID broadcast (as
one would problably expect).

Please help,
Ray (city of Utrecht, The Netherlands)

Dave 10-08-2005 12:47 PM

Re: Adapter does not connect to Linksys router when SSID broadcast is disabled

this is a known problem. turn back on ssid broadcast. turnning it off does
not help security and it causes the problems you are seeing with
connections.

Clark 10-09-2005 01:45 AM

Re: Adapter does not connect to Linksys router when SSID broadcastis disabled

What utility are you using to control the adapter, the manufacturers or
the Windows WZC?

It you hard wire do the pages load correctly?

Have you set up a profile for your connection on your computer so it
knows what the SSID is?

Clark

Ray 10-09-2005 11:52 AM

Re: Adapter does not connect to Linksys router when SSID broadcast is disabled

> What utility are you using to control the adapter, the manufacturers or
> the Windows WZC?

I use Windows itself; not the Linksys software. Linksys helpdesk itself
advised me to do it this way.

> It you hard wire do the pages load correctly?

Yes, the problem of the pages and pictures was only there when I had
the Norton 2001 firewall up and running in combination with the wireless
connection. It was not there when I used the LAN-connection with or
without the router in between. This problem is now solved anyway.

> Have you set up a profile for your connection on your computer so it knows
> what the SSID is?

Yes, absolutely, it is right there in the list, actually as the only item.
It's
supposed to connect to my router's signal automatically when it detects
the signal.

I've already tried using a new WPA-PSK-password, or throwing this
wireless connection profile away and creating a new one, with either SSID
broadcast switched on or switched off, but it just doesn't work.
The strange thing is, that sometimes all of a sudden it (the
connection/profile)
switches on automatically (it finds my network/SSID) without any action
taken to do so.

Regards,
Ray

Clark 10-09-2005 12:19 PM

Re: Adapter does not connect to Linksys router when SSID broadcastis disabled

Are you using the computer where the signal is strong, sometimes even
turning the computer a different direction will help? Is there anything
that might be interfering with it, like some cordless phones or
microwaves or even other networks ? I suppose disabling the WPA
security makes no difference?

Just so you will know, it seems to me there are quite a few questions
from folks with USB adapters. Do you have another type you could use to
check?

Clark

Dave 10-09-2005 12:55 PM

Re: Adapter does not connect to Linksys router when SSID broadcast is disabled

the FIRST and most important thing is to turn ssid broadcast ON and leave it
ON... then try other troubleshooting. using wzc you will get disconnected
from your access point if you are not broadcasting and another one in range
is broadcasting... eliminate that possibility permanently before worrying
about other stuff.

Jack 10-09-2005 09:14 PM

Re: Adapter does not connect to Linksys router when SSID broadcast is disabled

Hi

Since SSID really does not add any security when MAC and WPA are used switch
it On, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid

Ray 10-10-2005 06:04 PM

Re: Adapter does not connect to Linksys router when SSID broadcast is disabled

> the FIRST and most important thing is to turn ssid broadcast ON and leave
> it ON... then try other troubleshooting.

But the problem itself is that I do not want to leave the SSID broadcast on.
As one
of the things one has to do to make wireless networking more secure, one is
advised
to turn it off, so that's what I want to do. I cannot judge on whether this
really does
or does not improve security.

> using wzc you will get disconnected from your access point if you are not
> broadcasting and another one in range is broadcasting... eliminate that
> possibility permanently before worrying about other stuff.

Other routers _are_ broadcasting, about four or five of them, each with a
weak
signal. But they are nog in my list of preferred networks; only my own
netwerk
is. Obviously I cannot prevent other networks from broadcasting.
What I find strange, is that turning off SSID broadcast was not a problem
before;
the problem started after I upgraded my firewall and the Linksys firmware.
And what is the point of being able to turn off SSID broadcast if
1) it doesn't help security
2) I cannot connect to it anymore

>Are you using the computer where the signal is strong, sometimes even
>turning the computer a different direction will help?

The signal is always very good to excellent. The problem even occurs
when the router and adapter are only half a meter apart.

> Is there anything that might be interfering with it, like some cordless
> phones or microwaves or even other networks ?

I have tried different channels, but it doesn't make a difference.

> I suppose disabling the WPA security makes no difference?

I haven't tried, and I don't think I want to try...
And again: on rare occasions the adapter _does_ connect automatically when
SSID broadcast is turned off. So it _can_ function somehow sometimes,
only not on demand. This makes the problem even more strange.

>Just so you will know, it seems to me there are quite a few questions from
>folks with USB adapters. Do you have another type you could use to check?

No, I only have the USB adapter. Would have been nice to try if I had an
alternative.

Regards,
Ray

Ray 10-10-2005 06:06 PM

Re: Adapter does not connect to Linksys router when SSID broadcast is disabled

OK, thanks!

Ray