Velocity Reviews

-   -   simple examples needed with sql2000, asp.net, visual basic (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t765536-simple-examples-needed-with-sql2000-asp-net-visual-basic.html)

Ryan McBride 12-14-2003 06:40 AM

simple examples needed with sql2000, asp.net, visual basic

Once again at my wonderful job i've been given the task of "come teach your
fellow idiot coworkers the skills you have"

I write software for a company in chicago. I use visual basic on asp.net
type platform.

Recently i learned a little bit on database access and would like to knw
more so that i can pass along the knowledge to my coworkers who do not
possess this information. the trouble is that my code is very sloppy and
I'm not sure where to start, so i'm asking for help.

What i need is a set of very simple examples on how to perform simple tasks.

I use Internet Explorer 5 or 6 on all workstations running windows 2000
professional or windows xp professional, Windows 2000 server, Microsoft IIS
5.0, Microsoft SQL 2000 (which i'm very fluent in), ASP.NET 2.0

I need code examples using Visual Basic only (other languages are a nono to
our corporate office) which will do the following:

1) read data from a database table with and without joins
2) write new records into a database table
3) update a single record from a database table
4) delete records from a database table

i've been asked to put together a detailed seminar/presentation on this and
if i have some well written code then i think it would greatly help.

thanks in advance.

Ryan McBride

TJS 12-14-2003 07:32 AM

Re: simple examples needed with sql2000, asp.net, visual basic

there's a couple of examples here:

http://www.asp.net/Tutorials/quickstart.aspx

--
================================
http://www.ASPkey.net/

Marc Rivait 12-14-2003 01:05 PM

Re: simple examples needed with sql2000, asp.net, visual basic

In addition to this, let me add that MS has published some best practises
and application blocks @
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/practices/about.asp

Specifically to your question, the Data Access Application Block Overview
which can be found at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ml/daab-rm.asp
is well worth a look. It implements some helper classes which definately
make life a little easier.

Regards,
Marc.