Velocity Reviews

-   -   edit multiple records in a gridview with one postback (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t763139-edit-multiple-records-in-a-gridview-with-one-postback.html)

archuleta37 02-09-2007 08:57 PM

edit multiple records in a gridview with one postback

I've got a asp.net 2.0 gridview with a list of orders. I want to add a column
with a checkbox (simple enough) and make it so that when I click a submit
button, the postback sets the status on each of the records with a checkbox
so that they are completed.

So in my gridview, I have the following attribute:
DataKeyNames="order_id"

and the following code for the status:
<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Item Status" SortExpression="status_name">
<EditItemTemplate>
<asp:DropDownList ID="ddStatus" runat="server"
DataSourceID="dsStatus"
DataTextField="status_name"
DataValueField="status_id"
SelectedValue='<%# Bind("order_status_id") %>'>
</asp:DropDownList>
</EditItemTemplate>
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:Label ID="lblStatus" runat="server" Text='<%#
Bind("status_name") %>'></asp:Label>
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateField>

and have added a checkbox column:
<asp:CheckBoxField HeaderText="Close" />

and outside the gridview I added:
<asp:LinkButton ID="btnCloseItems" runat="server"
CommandName="closeSelected">Close Selected</asp:LinkButton>

then in my page load method, I have:

if (IsPostBack)
{

}

but where do I go from here? I feel comfortable writing a method that
changes the status for the records, but how do I go about looping through the
records in the postback and identifying the value of the checkbox and
order_id? Is there a standard asp.net way of doing what I'm trying to do, or
is writing code to handle this the best approach? In any case, any help to
accomplish my goal would be much appreciated.

Marc

Bruno Alexandre 02-14-2007 08:34 PM

Re: edit multiple records in a gridview with one postback

all you need to do is:

read this tutorial :)

http://www.gridviewguy.com/ArticleDe...?articleID=219

Bruno Alexandre
Stroby, Danmark

"a Portuguese in Denmark"

archuleta37 02-14-2007 08:57 PM

Re: edit multiple records in a gridview with one postback

Oh Wow!
They make it so easy!

Thanks Bruno, I'll put this to good use.
Marc

archuleta37 03-02-2007 11:40 PM

Re: edit multiple records in a gridview with one postback

Hey Bruno,

I ran into another approach to this that I thought I'd share:

article:
http://blogs.msdn.com/mattdotson/articles/490868.aspx
code:
http://www.codeplex.com/ASPNetRealWorldContr