Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to avoid hardcoding DataKeyField name ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t762948-how-to-avoid-hardcoding-datakeyfield-name.html)

Jeff Robichaud 08-22-2006 03:15 PM

How to avoid hardcoding DataKeyField name ?

Hi,

How can I avoid hardcoding the name of the DataKeyField property of a
DataGrid ?

Like:

datagrid.DataSource = someSource;
datagrid.DataKeyField = "employeeId";

The above works but it's not what I want, because whenever the name of the
field changes, I'm screwed. Avoiding this is the purpose of strongly-typed
datasets (or using collections or whatever data layer abstraction mechanism
you like) as I understand it, but I'd like to know what you n-tier gurus do
in this case ?

Thanks,
- Jeff