Velocity Reviews

-   -   Help on DataSets (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t762897-help-on-datasets.html)

cagriandac@gmail.com 07-22-2006 08:04 PM

Help on DataSets

Hello,

I am creating an application using asp.net 2.0. But I am stuck
somewhere. I want to get values from a DataSet one by one on every
Page_Load. So I wrote my code in Page_Load but it didnt work, giving a
warning. Here is my code:

Code:

System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
Dim ds As DataSet1
Dim test As String
test = ds.Tables("pictureID").Rows(0)("pictureID").ToString
Label1.Text = test
End Sub

And the Warning:

Variable 'ds' is used before it has been assigned a value. A null
reference exception could result at runtime.

How can I handle this warning. Did I wrote the code in wrong place?

I created my DataSet using the menu in Visual Web Developer (Visual
Studio 2005). So I did not write any code for it.

Am I assigning the ds right?
I also assigned it as DataSet1TableAdapter. But it didnt work also. I
am a rookie and any help is appreciated.

Eliyahu Goldin 07-23-2006 08:46 AM

Re: Help on DataSets

Dim ds As DataSet1 creates a new dataset. It has no connection with the one
you have created. You should be able to use the created one just by its
name. I am not familiar with Visual Web Developer, but usually what you
create is the schema for the dataset. On top of this, you need to load
actual data. And you have to make sure that the dataset gets populated on
every postback. For this you will have to either re-load it on every
postback or save it in a persistent location such as a session variable.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant

<cagriandac@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1153598698.262066.116740@p79g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I am creating an application using asp.net 2.0. But I am stuck
> somewhere. I want to get values from a DataSet one by one on every
> Page_Load. So I wrote my code in Page_Load but it didnt work, giving a
> warning. Here is my code:

Code: