Velocity Reviews

-   -   Finding a reliable and inexpensive ASP.Net Hoster... suggestions? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t76229-finding-a-reliable-and-inexpensive-asp-net-hoster-suggestions.html)

Vaughn 04-19-2004 03:57 PM

Finding a reliable and inexpensive ASP.Net Hoster... suggestions?

I'm looking for a reliable Web Hoster that has full Dot Net
functionality.I'm basically looking for something that's about $10/month or
less, has ASP.Net support, and has positive feedback and reviews. It should
also have some type of DB support (preferably SQL Server although most
charge additional for it). Since I'm an independent software developer with
a limited budget, in the near future I want to use the site as a way to
display my Dot Net skills to potential clients. In the long run, I plan to
have a a more dynamic site with some e-commerce capabilities.
I was interested in Brinkster.com (one plan offers SQL Server space for
$14.95/mo) but they require that you pay the whole yearly amount in bulk.
The cheapest plan they have ($7/mo that you have to pay in bulk for a year)
only has Access support.
Also, are there any sites (besides webhostmagazine.com) that offer ASP.net
reviews?

Thanks.

Peter O'Reilly 04-19-2004 04:05 PM

Re: Finding a reliable and inexpensive ASP.Net Hoster... suggestions?

I've had very good experience for the past year and a half using:
www.webhost4life.com

after very bad experiences with Brinkster (along with many others at the
time).

They bill you for a full 12 months at a time. They are most attractively
priced.
Shop around, but my inclination is your price point is a bit too low if you
are looking for SQL Srvr support
and not to be billed annually. I highly recommend webhost4life for what
it's worth.

Good luck.

--
Peter O'Reilly

Jim Cheshire [MSFT] 04-19-2004 04:23 PM

RE: Finding a reliable and inexpensive ASP.Net Hoster... suggestions?

Vaughn,

This is my own personal opinion and not Microsoft's, but I use eHostingBiz
for several ASP.NET sites that I do outside of work and have found them to
be reliable and inexpensive. http://www.ehostingbiz.com.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
ASP.NET
Developer Support
jamesche@online.microsoft.com

--------------------
>From: "Vaughn" <vonchi_m@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Finding a reliable and inexpensive ASP.Net Hoster... suggestions?
>Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:57:08 -0400
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFT NGP08.phx.gbl!tk2msftngp13
.phx.gbl

Vaughn 04-19-2004 04:24 PM

Re: Finding a reliable and inexpensive ASP.Net Hoster... suggestions?

Why was Brinkster a bad experience? Was it the price of were there other
factors?

Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBCb3Jn?= 04-19-2004 04:31 PM

Re: Finding a reliable and inexpensive ASP.Net Hoster... suggestions?

I just signed up at webhost4life after hearing similar good things, but I'm too new there to have an opinion yet. They make you pay for the year up front, but you can get a refund on the unused months if you quit. Best thing to me is that they offer unlimited domains and subdomains, so if you're playing around with various ideas for domains but don't want to pay for an account for each one you can lump them together. Also worth checking out is discountasp.net; main reason I didn't go with them for starters is the additional charges for domains, and that they don't have any options for dedicated servers. Good luck

----- Peter O'Reilly wrote: ----

I've had very good experience for the past year and a half using
www.webhost4life.co

after very bad experiences with Brinkster (along with many others at th
time)

They bill you for a full 12 months at a time. They are most attractivel
priced
Shop around, but my inclination is your price point is a bit too low if yo
are looking for SQL Srvr suppor
and not to be billed annually. I highly recommend webhost4life for wha
it's worth

Good luck

--
Peter O'Reill

Vaughn 04-19-2004 04:34 PM

Re: Finding a reliable and inexpensive ASP.Net Hoster... suggestions?

I was looking through www.webhost4life.com and it looks pretty good. For
$10, you get 150MB of MySQL and SQL Server. And although you pay annually,
they will refund the remaining months (which I don't think Brinkster has) if
you wish to cancel. Their only limit is that they give you 150MB of space.
But it loooks pretty good.

Vaughn 04-19-2004 04:43 PM

Re: Finding a reliable and inexpensive ASP.Net Hoster... suggestions?

Knowing that I get a refund for any unused months is what makes webhost4life
a good option. Since I'm not 100% sure that what I'll be doing with the site
will actually work, if I decide to drop it within a month, I know I'll get
my money back. Also, they give you 150MB of SQL Server space, which is much
mroe than most other hosters give you.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT] 04-19-2004 04:46 PM

Re: Finding a reliable and inexpensive ASP.Net Hoster... suggestions?

Just FYI, WebHost4Life and eHostingBiz are the same company.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
ASP.NET
Developer Support
jamesche@online.microsoft.com

--------------------
>From: "Peter O'Reilly" <Peter_OReilly@timeinc.com!N!O!.S!P!AM!>
>Subject: Re: Finding a reliable and inexpensive ASP.Net Hoster...

suggestions?
>Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:05:06 -0400
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFT NGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP09
.phx.gbl

Peter O'Reilly 04-19-2004 06:19 PM

Re: Finding a reliable and inexpensive ASP.Net Hoster... suggestions?

> Why was Brinkster a bad experience? Was it the price of were there other
> factors?

Not price, just very poor service - software and customer response wise.
Googling and reading other message boards conveyed the same. I can't
recall the details other than I couldn't get an ASP.NET app to run in their
environment. This was beta, final release time of .NET was and the VS.NET
home page provided a list of .NET providers. I tried a bunch of .NET
hosting providers, many with free trial periods, including Brinkster. Of the
lot - Brinkster was by far the worst.
Perhaps they've got their act together and things have improved. I haven't
cared to take notice - as webhost4life has worked well for me.
--
Peter O'Reilly