Velocity Reviews

-   -   Hello everyone... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t75946-hello-everyone.html)

Nugs 04-15-2004 07:27 AM

Hello everyone...

Hi there everyone, I'm new to this newsgroup so I hope you don't mind me just asking a question, but it has been working me for way to long now and I need some help. I'm fairly new to ASP.NET and VB.NET but have been cramming for weeks now and hit a snag.It has to do with forms authentication in ASP.NET. My problem is that when good credentials are sent from the login.aspx page it doesn't seem to be generating a cookie for the user and sends the user back to the login page because they are still unauthenticated. I have been researching this allot and have been buried in books for way to long now. Creating the login system seems so easy to do that there are little troubleshooting pages to be found. I did find one that described my problem in one short paragraph:

[http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ecNetch13.asp]
Using Forms Authentication
Make sure that the cookie name specified in the <forms> element is being retrieved in the global.asax event handler correctly (Application_AuthenticateRequest). Also, make sure the cookie is being created. If the client is continuously sent back to the login page (specified by the loginUrl attribute on the <forms> element) this indicates that the cookie is not being created for some reason, or an authenticated identity is not being placed into the context (HttpContext.User)

The structure I have is fairly simple. I have the root of my main application open to anonymous users. I then have a secured directory called 'ClientCenter'. Both have there own web.config files specifying there separate authorization.

At the root of my site I have my the main sites web.config file which looks like so:

[Code]
<configuration>
<appSettings>
<add key="MM_CONNECTION_HANDLER_eOnConn" value="default_oledb.htm" />
<add key="MM_CONNECTION_STRING_eOnConn" value="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\eOn\Database\eOn.mdb;Per sist Security Info=False" />
<add key="MM_CONNECTION_DATABASETYPE_eOnConn" value="OleDb" />
<add key="MM_CONNECTION_SCHEMA_eOnConn" value="" />
<add key="MM_CONNECTION_CATALOG_eOnConn" value="" />
</appSettings>

<system.web>
<authentication mode="Forms">
<forms name=".CCAUTH" loginUrl="../login.aspx" protection="All">
<credentials passwordFormat="Clear">
<user name="1" password="1" />
</credentials>
</forms>
</authentication>
<authorization>
<allow users="?" />
</authorization>
</system.web>
</configuration>

My login page code (with some help from the MSDN) looks like so:

[Code]
<%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="true" %>
<head>
<script runat="server">
Sub LoginBtn_Click(sender as Object, e as EventArgs)
' If Page.IsValid Then
' Call the authentication event handler delegate (not included in this example).
If FormsAuthentication.Authenticate(UserName.Text, UserPass.Text) Then
' Return to the originally requested URL.
FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage(UserName .Text, Remember.Checked)
Else
Msg.Text = "Invalid Credentials: Please try again"
End If
' End If
End Sub
</script>

</head>

<form runat="server">
<h2>Login Page</h2>
<hr size="1" />
<tbody>
Display="Static" ErrorMessage="*"></asp:RequiredFieldValidator></td>
Display="Static" ErrorMessage="*"></asp:RequiredFieldValidator></td>
</tbody>
<asp:button id="LoginBtn" onclick="LoginBtn_Click" runat="server" text="Login"></asp:button>
</form>

And lastly the ClientCenter/web.config file looks like this:

[Code]
<configuration>
<system.web>
<authorization>
<deny users="?" />
<allow users="*" />
</authorization>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Now from all the books and examples I have been through, this should be all I need to get this login system up and running, right? Well something is going on here and i have no clue what. Please could someone show me what I am doing wrong here and why it is not generating my cookie! How do i ' Call the authentication event handler delegate' and what is that exactly? Do i have to set something in IIS for this to work? Please help!

Thanks
Nugs

Kevin Spencer 04-15-2004 12:54 PM

Re: Hello everyone...

Let's start by elminating the simple: Are you sure that the browser has
Cookies enabled?

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

"Nugs" <duncsjunk@comcast.net> wrote in message
Hi there everyone, I'm new to this newsgroup so I hope you don't mind me
just asking a question, but it has been working me for way to long now and I
need some help. I'm fairly new to ASP.NET and VB.NET but have been cramming
for weeks now and hit a snag.It has to do with forms authentication in
ASP.NET. My problem is that when good credentials are sent from the
login.aspx page it doesn't seem to be generating a cookie for the user and
sends the user back to the login page because they are still
unauthenticated. I have been researching this allot and have been buried in
books for way to long now. Creating the login system seems so easy to do
that there are little troubleshooting pages to be found. I did find one that
described my problem in one short paragraph:

[http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...-us/dnnetsec/h
tml/SecNetch13.asp]
[...]

/>
[...]

runat="server"></asp:TextBox></td>
runat="server" ControlToValidate="UserName"
Display="Static"
ErrorMessage="*"></asp:RequiredFieldValidator></td>
TextMode="Password"></asp:TextBox></td>
runat="server" ControlToValidate="UserPass"
Display="Static"
ErrorMessage="*"></asp:RequiredFieldValidator></td>
runat="server"></asp:CheckBox>Remember credentials?</td>
</tbody>
<asp:button id="LoginBtn" onclick="LoginBtn_Click" runat="server"
text="Login"></asp:button>
ForeColor="red"></asp:Label></p>

Nugs 04-15-2004 04:01 PM

Re: Hello everyone...

Yes, the same login example works when run from other servers. When I run it
locally nothing happens.

"Kevin Spencer" <kspencer@takempis.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> <allow users="?" />
> </authorization>
> </system.web>
> </configuration>
>
> My login page code (with some help from the MSDN) looks like so:
>
> [Code]
> <%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="true" %>
> <head>
> <script runat="server">
> Sub LoginBtn_Click(sender as Object, e as EventArgs)
> ' If Page.IsValid Then
> ' Call the authentication event handler delegate (not
> included in this example).
> If FormsAuthentication.Authenticate(UserName.Text,
> UserPass.Text) Then
> ' Return to the originally requested URL.
> FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage(UserName .Text,
> Remember.Checked)
> Else
> Msg.Text = "Invalid Credentials: Please try again"

id="RequiredFieldValidator1"
> runat="server" ControlToValidate="UserName"
> Display="Static"
> ErrorMessage="*"></asp:RequiredFieldValidator></td>
> TextMode="Password"></asp:TextBox></td>

id="RequiredFieldValidator2"

Nugs 04-17-2004 12:05 AM

Re: Hello everyone...

Well the Microsoft page I mentioned previously says: "Make sure that the
cookie name specified in the <forms> element is being retrieved in the
global.asax event handler correctly (Application_AuthenticateRequest)"

I don't believe I have done anything like this and in all the example I have
read on this none have mentioned a global.asax event handler. Is this maybe
my problem?

Nugs