Velocity Reviews

-   -   Tooltip question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t758395-tooltip-question.html)

ODAN 06-05-2006 07:51 PM

Tooltip question

I have an application that was developed in ASP.NET/C#. On one of the pages,
we are using tooltip to display the description of the textboxes. Wehn you
move your mouse over a textbox the tooltip appears with a full description
of the textbox on which you have your mouse. By default the tooltip display
for 10 seconds and then disappear (according to Microsoft). Is there a way
to make the tooltip display indefinetly. I have I searched the MSDN it says
the duration property can be set to -1 to make the tooltip display
indefinetly but it doesn't tell me how to do that with regards to the
application. Please help!

Thanks!

Eliyahu Goldin 06-06-2006 08:43 AM

Re: Tooltip question

You should connect to the ToolTip behavior library tooltip.htc

See MSDN example
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ip/tooltip.asp

It contains a link for downloading the library.

Eliyahu

Laurent Bugnion 06-06-2006 09:27 AM

Re: Tooltip question

Hi,

Eliyahu Goldin wrote:
> You should connect to the ToolTip behavior library tooltip.htc
>
> See MSDN example

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ip/tooltip.asp

> It contains a link for downloading the library.
>
> Eliyahu

Note however that HTC are for IE-only, and might cause other problems
(we had tons of memory leaks due to a certain HTC component, because
HTCs link the CSS engine and the JavaScript engine, thus increasing the
risk for circular references).

I think that to program a tooltip control in ASP.NET should be fairly
easy, using floating DIVs, so I would rather consider making such a
control rather than using the IE-only HTC solution.

HTH,
Laurent

Hans Kesting 06-06-2006 09:39 AM

Re: Tooltip question

> Hi,
>
>> "ODAN" <oludan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I have an application that was developed in ASP.NET/C#. On one of the
>>> pages, we are using tooltip to display the description of the textboxes.
>>> Wehn you move your mouse over a textbox the tooltip appears with a full
>>> description of the textbox on which you have your mouse. By default the
>>> tooltip display for 10 seconds and then disappear (according to
>>> Microsoft). Is there a way to make the tooltip display indefinetly. I have
>>> I searched the MSDN it says the duration property can be set to -1 to make
>>> the tooltip display indefinetly but it doesn't tell me how to do that with
>>> regards to the application. Please help!
>>>
>>> Thanks!

> Eliyahu Goldin wrote:
> > You should connect to the ToolTip behavior library tooltip.htc
> >
> > See MSDN example
> >

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ip/tooltip.asp
> >
> > It contains a link for downloading the library.
> >
> > Eliyahu

> Note however that HTC are for IE-only, and might cause other problems (we had
> tons of memory leaks due to a certain HTC component, because HTCs link the
> CSS engine and the JavaScript engine, thus increasing the risk for circular
> references).
>
> I think that to program a tooltip control in ASP.NET should be fairly easy,
> using floating DIVs, so I would rather consider making such a control rather
> than using the IE-only HTC solution.
>
> HTH,
> Laurent

See, for example, http://www.bosrup.com/web/overlib/

Hans Kesting

Winista 06-06-2006 10:45 AM

Re: Tooltip question

See if this helps..

http://www.netomatix.com/products/Po...p/Default.aspx

OD 06-07-2006 06:12 PM

Re: Tooltip question

Thank you guys, I have a few suggestions now. we do want it to work on
netscape and probably mozilla too.