Velocity Reviews

-   -   Composite Control - Panel scrollbars for "absolute" positioned child controls (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t758393-composite-control-panel-scrollbars-for-absolute-positioned-child-controls.html)

Parag Mahajan 06-02-2006 03:17 PM

Composite Control - Panel scrollbars for "absolute" positioned child controls

Hi,

I am developing a composite control in asp.net 2.0 framework. The controls
(all types like HtmlInputButton, HtmlInputText, HtmlInputTextArea) I place
or add to the controls collection of my composite control, all have the
position style as "absolute". (My requirement is such that those child
controls have to be absolutely positioned.)

But when I place this composite control in one of the containers like Panel
control, which will add the scrollbars automatically to my absolutely
positioned and rendered HTML controls on the composite control. When I do
this, I find all the controls with "absolute position" have been rendered
outside of the container Panel control on the aspx page. I guess this is
because my child controls are absolutely positioned. Am I correct?

I want to scroll through in the absolutely positioned controls in a page,
what container control should I be using to achieve this? Or how should I
make use of Panel control to achieve this scrolling visual behaviour?

Regards,
Parag.

CaffieneRush@gmail.com 06-02-2006 11:42 PM

Re: Composite Control - Panel scrollbars for "absolute" positioned child controls

The effect you are seeking can be achieved if the child controls of
panel is absolute positioned as it is now but the panel itself needs to
be relatively positioned.

Regards,
Andy

Parag Mahajan 06-03-2006 09:40 AM

Re: Composite Control - Panel scrollbars for "absolute" positioned child controls

Hello Andy,

Thanks for replying. Now it has worked for me...
Well below is the html snippet of what I was trying to achieve along with
the scrollbars for the inner child controls placed inside the div control
(asp:Panel Container control)...

--------
<DIV id=Panel1 style="OVERFLOW: scroll; WIDTH: 417px; HEIGHT: 250px;
position:relative;">&nbsp;
<INPUT id=TextBox1
style="Z-INDEX: 100; LEFT: 145px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 318px"
name=TextBox1>
</DIV>
--------

Thanks,