Velocity Reviews

-   -   Determining the Browser and event.keyCode vs. event.which (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t758245-determining-the-browser-and-event-keycode-vs-event-which.html)

Nathan Sokalski 03-10-2006 05:38 AM

Determining the Browser and event.keyCode vs. event.which

I am writing a piece of code for an ASP.NET function that generates an
onKeyPress JavaScript eventhandler that uses the event.keyCode / event.which
properties. I have two situations that I would appreciate any advice on:

1. I know that IE uses event.keyCode to get the key pressed. I have,
however, seen sites that some versions of Netscape use event.which and some
versions use event.keyCode. Does anyone know of a site that lists which one
all the versions of as many of the existing browsers as possible use?

2. I need to write server-side ASP.NET code in VB.NET to determine which
browser is requesting the page. I know that this is done using the
Page.Request.Browser object, but because this is the first time I have
needed to worry about the browser all the way down to the specific version,
I want to know the best, simplest, most efficient way to do this.

Thank you to everyone in advance.
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com

Cor Ligthert [MVP] 03-10-2006 06:26 AM

Re: Determining the Browser and event.keyCode vs. event.which

Nathan,

This is the only link I still have what maybe covers what I think you are
asking.

http://www.webmonkey.com//reference/browser_chart/

I hope this helps,

Cor

Nathan Sokalski 03-10-2006 06:56 AM

Re: Determining the Browser and event.keyCode vs. event.which

It's a nice chart, but unfortunately it does not have the information I am
looking for. I am trying to determine what browsers use event.keyCode and
what browsers use event.which (these both refer to the ascii code of the key
pressed to trigger JavaScript events such as onKeyPress).

Michael Harris \(MVP\) 03-11-2006 01:57 AM

Nathan Sokalski wrote:
> It's a nice chart, but unfortunately it does not have the information
> I am looking for. I am trying to determine what browsers use
> event.keyCode and what browsers use event.which (these both refer to
> the ascii code of the key pressed to trigger JavaScript events such
> as onKeyPress).

Probably only IE uses event.keyCode...

keyCode Property (event) (Internet Explorer - DHTML)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/a...es/keycode.asp

"...
Standards Information

There is no public standard that applies to this property
...."

> "Cor Ligthert [MVP]" <notmyfirstname@planet.nl> wrote in message
>> Nathan,
>>
>> This is the only link I still have what maybe covers what I think
>> you are asking.
>>
>> http://www.webmonkey.com//reference/browser_chart/
>>
>> I hope this helps,
>>
>> Cor
>>
>> "Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
>>> I am writing a piece of code for an ASP.NET function that generates
>>> an onKeyPress JavaScript eventhandler that uses the event.keyCode /
>>> event.which
>>> properties. I have two situations that I would appreciate any
>>> advice on: 1. I know that IE uses event.keyCode to get the key pressed.
>>> I have,
>>> however, seen sites that some versions of Netscape use event.which
>>> and some
>>> versions use event.keyCode. Does anyone know of a site that lists
>>> which one
>>> all the versions of as many of the existing browsers as possible
>>> use? 2. I need to write server-side ASP.NET code in VB.NET to determine
>>> which browser is requesting the page. I know that this is done
>>> using the Page.Request.Browser object, but because this is the
>>> first time I have needed to worry about the browser all the way
>>> down to the specific version,
>>> I want to know the best, simplest, most efficient way to do this.
>>>
>>> Thank you to everyone in advance.
>>> --
>>> Nathan Sokalski
>>> njsokalski@hotmail.com
>>> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft MVP Scripting

Scripting: Your First Steps
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr...irststeps.mspx

Nathan Sokalski 03-11-2006 06:36 AM

Re: Determining the Browser and event.keyCode vs. event.which

Well, that's good to know, it should somewhat simplify what I need to test
for. When experimenting with ASP.NET's Page.Request.Browser object, which is
what I plan to use to determine whether to sent JavaScript that uses
event.which or event.keyCode, I generated the following page:

ActiveXControlstrue
AOLfalse
BackgroundSoundstrue
Betafalse
BrowserIE
CDFfalse
ClrVersion
Cookiestrue
Crawlerfalse
EcmaScriptVersion1.2
Framestrue
JavaAppletstrue
JavaScripttrue
MajorVersion6
MinorVersion.0
MSDomVersion6.0
PlatformWinXP
Tablestrue
TypeIE6
VBScripttrue
Version6.0
W3CDomVersion1.0
Win16false
Win32true
GetClrVersions()1.1.4322, 2.0.50727

I am assuming that I would use either the Browser or Type properties to
determine the user's browser. What are the different values that would be
returned by the different browsers (so I know what different values to test
for, particularly the less well known browsers) in the Browser and Type
properties? Thanks.