Velocity Reviews

-   -   Write into <HEAD></HEAD> section? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t756329-write-into-head-head-section.html)

Jiho Han 01-14-2004 07:09 PM

Write into <HEAD></HEAD> section?

Is it possible to write into HEAD section, for example to write out a LINK
tag?

Alessandro Zifiglio 01-14-2004 08:58 PM

Re: Write into <HEAD></HEAD> section?

hi Jiho,
try <head id="head1" runat="server"></head>

delcare head1 as an HtmlControls.HtmlGenericControl
and then access it from code.

Victor Garcia Aprea [MVP] 01-14-2004 09:16 PM

Re: Write into <HEAD></HEAD> section?

Hi Jiho,

Add a runat="server" attribute to the <head> tag, then refer it in your
codebehind by its ID and you're ready to go... (the IDE will wipe off your
<head> tag from time to time...)

--
Victor Garcia Aprea
Microsoft MVP | ASP.NET

Jiho Han 01-14-2004 10:26 PM

Re: Write into <HEAD></HEAD> section?

Thanks guys for your help.

Sam Fields 01-15-2004 07:59 PM

Re: Write into <HEAD></HEAD> section?

Jiho was looking to write a <link> tag. I've attempted this myself. I can
successfully write the <link> tag, but it does not work to access the .css
file and render the styles at design time. Run-time is perfectly fine.

Any clue how to get a programmatically added <link> tag to successfully
render the css styles?

Thanks!
Sam Fields

Jiho Han 01-16-2004 04:22 PM

Re: Write into <HEAD></HEAD> section?

Sam,

I don't know what you mean by your question. Are you trying to have the css
"rendered" at design-time? I don't know if that's possible. For example, I
tried to set the bgcolor of the BODY tag but it had no effect on the
designer window. I would guess that's probably the same behavior you can
expect with the css at design-time.

In any case, I decided not to use the LINK in my control. After all, as a
control developer, I can't control whether the page developer specifies
runat="server" attribute on the HEAD tag. Instead I have decided to add the
necessary tags via client script block. RegisterClientScriptBlock method
works fine for me in this case.

Thanks all for your help!
Jiho

Sam Fields 01-16-2004 04:31 PM

Re: Write into <HEAD></HEAD> section?

It acutally applies all the styles at design-time, but only if the <link>
tag is added to the top of the aspx page, and not added programmatically.
For this same reason, I abandoned adding <link> tags in my controls as well.
Anyway, thanks for your response!

Sam