Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is Dennis Ritchie mentioned in the C standards documents? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t755055-is-dennis-ritchie-mentioned-in-the-c-standards-documents.html)

Kenny McCormack 10-22-2011 01:29 PM

Is Dennis Ritchie mentioned in the C standards documents?

I note two things:

1) The "Thank you, Dennis!" thread is the most active thread in this ng (the
past few days).
2) Despite that, I note that Kiki hasn't responded at all in that thread, so
I guess the answer to the posted question is probably "no".

Note, incidentally, that if the answer to the question is "Yes", then that's
all to the good. Can anyone answer that question? Thanks.

--
But the Bush apologists hope that you won't remember all that. And they
also have a theory, which I've been hearing more and more - namely,

(Paul Krugman - Addicted to Bush)

Joachim Schmitz 10-22-2011 07:38 PM

Re: Is Dennis Ritchie mentioned in the C standards documents?

Kenny McCormack wrote:
> I note two things:
>
> 1) The "Thank you, Dennis!" thread is the most active thread in this
> ng (the past few days).
> 2) Despite that, I note that Kiki hasn't responded at all in that
> thread, so I guess the answer to the posted question is probably
> "no".
>
> Note, incidentally, that if the answer to the question is "Yes", then
> that's all to the good. Can anyone answer that question? Thanks.

The Question is (from Subject line: Is Dennis Ritchie mentioned in the C
standards documents?

The Answer is: yes, in the Bibliography:
Bibliography

1. ‘‘The C Reference Manual’’ by Dennis M. Ritchie, a version of which was

published in The C Programming Language by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis

M. Ritchie, Prentice-Hall, Inc., (1978). Copyright owned by AT&T.

Bye, Jojo

Kaz Kylheku 10-22-2011 07:44 PM

On 2011-10-22, Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
> Note, incidentally, that if the answer to the question is "Yes", then that's
> all to the good. Can anyone answer that question? Thanks.

Of course the 1989 ANSI standard used the K&R1 as the base document.

C99 has retains this reference, and it is the first entry in the

Kenny McCormack 10-22-2011 08:37 PM

Re: Is Dennis Ritchie mentioned in the C standards documents?

In article <j7v64d$5bp$1@online.de>,
Joachim Schmitz <jojo@schmitz-digital.de> wrote:
>Kenny McCormack wrote:
>> I note two things:
>>
>> 1) The "Thank you, Dennis!" thread is the most active thread in this
>> ng (the past few days).
>> 2) Despite that, I note that Kiki hasn't responded at all in that
>> thread, so I guess the answer to the posted question is probably
>> "no".
>>
>> Note, incidentally, that if the answer to the question is "Yes", then
>> that's all to the good. Can anyone answer that question? Thanks.

>The Question is (from Subject line: Is Dennis Ritchie mentioned in the C
>standards documents?
>
>The Answer is: yes, in the Bibliography:

Thanks! Then I guess Kiki can't say these threads are off-topic.

--
"We should always be disposed to believe that which appears to us to be
white is really black, if the hierarchy of the church so decides."

- Saint Ignatius Loyola (1491-1556) Founder of the Jesuit Order -

lawrence.jones@siemens.com 10-22-2011 08:44 PM

Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:

> Note, incidentally, that if the answer to the question is "Yes", then that's
> all to the good. Can anyone answer that question? Thanks.

Yes, K&R is the very first entry in the Bibliography.
--
Larry Jones

I've got an idea for a sit-com called "Father Knows Zilch." -- Calvin