Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cisco Switch Question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t754995-cisco-switch-question.html)

GlenM 10-18-2011 06:25 PM

Cisco Switch Question

Hi There;

I inherited a Cisco 3550 Series Switch (WS-C3550-24-SMI) - I won't
pretend to know IOS very well, but is version 12.2(35)SE.

I am attempting to create some VLANs on it, however, I see interfaces
on the switch called Vlan10, Vlan20, Vlan30, etc.

When I attempt to create a vlan, it seems to give me some conflicting
information.

Example - I want to assign the FastEthernet port 2-6 to a vlan, I
create vlan 30, assign it IP information, and it assigns it to Vlan30
( see what I mean?)

Perhaps, the best way for me to go is to reset this thing back to
factory default.

Perhaps someone has a better way, I can pastebin my 'show running
config' if need be.

Thanks

Glen

Doug McIntyre 10-18-2011 07:59 PM

Re: Cisco Switch Question

GlenM <glenmillard@gmail.com> writes:
>I inherited a Cisco 3550 Series Switch (WS-C3550-24-SMI) - I won't
>pretend to know IOS very well, but is version 12.2(35)SE.

>I am attempting to create some VLANs on it, however, I see interfaces
>on the switch called Vlan10, Vlan20, Vlan30, etc.

>When I attempt to create a vlan, it seems to give me some conflicting
>information.

Did you want to run the switch at layer 2 or layer 3 VLANs?
Thats probably the source of difficulty..

The layer-2 VLAN creation is through the top level 'vlan' command.

Ie.

vlan 10,20,30

Assign a port to vlan 30

interface FastEthernet 0/5
switchport access vlan 30

>Example - I want to assign the FastEthernet port 2-6 to a vlan, I
>create vlan 30, assign it IP information, and it assigns it to Vlan30
>( see what I mean?)

Do you want layer 3 or layer-2?

You don't need to assign 'interface Vlan 30' any IP address info if
you don't need layer-3 routing.

>Perhaps, the best way for me to go is to reset this thing back to
>factory default.

>Perhaps someone has a better way, I can pastebin my 'show running
>config' if need be.

Probably describe what you want to do, and what you have now with the
important config bits. Ie. the 'vlan' command, the 'interface' commands..

GlenM 10-19-2011 12:23 AM

Re: Cisco Switch Question

On Oct 18, 3:59*pm, Doug McIntyre <mer...@geeks.org> wrote:
> GlenM <glenmill...@gmail.com> writes:
> >I inherited a Cisco 3550 Series Switch (WS-C3550-24-SMI) *- I won't
> >pretend to know IOS very well, but is version 12.2(35)SE.
> >I am attempting to create some VLANs on it, however, I see interfaces
> >on the switch called Vlan10, Vlan20, Vlan30, etc.
> >When I attempt to create a vlan, it seems to give me some conflicting
> >information.

> Did you want to run the switch at layer 2 or layer 3 VLANs?
> Thats probably the source of difficulty..
>
> The layer-2 VLAN creation is through the top level 'vlan' command.
>
> Ie.
>
> vlan 10,20,30
>
> Assign a port to vlan 30
>
> interface FastEthernet 0/5
> *switchport access vlan 30
>
> >Example - I want to assign the FastEthernet port 2-6 to a vlan, I
> >create vlan 30, assign it IP information, and it assigns it to Vlan30
> >( see what I mean?)

> Do you want layer 3 or layer-2?
>
> You don't need to assign 'interface Vlan 30' any IP address info if
> you don't need layer-3 routing.
>
> >Perhaps, the best way for me to go is to reset this thing back to
> >factory default.
> >Perhaps someone has a better way, I can pastebin my 'show running
> >config' if need be.

> Probably describe what you want to do, and what you have now with the
> important config bits. Ie. the 'vlan' command, the 'interface' commands..

Hi - thank you for responding.

I am not certain if I want layer 2 or 3 vlans - I will have to look up
the difference. Like I said, I am a little new at this and it is
starting to come together.

So far, besides the price, there is not much that I *don't * like
about Cisco Switches and Routers.

I will go over my commands and get back to you - probably tomorrow.

Glen

I will get back to you

GlenM 10-20-2011 10:58 AM

Re: Cisco Switch Question

Hi;

Thanks for your assistance.

Apparently, I just needed to sit down and actually study what a VLAN
actually is. Now that I understand what the hell I am doing, it made
things much clearer.

To answer your question, I was creating layer 2 VLANs. More or less
just separating two things - client and video.

It seems to work very well.

Thank you for responding.

Glen