Velocity Reviews

-   -   Dennis Ritchie Has Died (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t754896-dennis-ritchie-has-died.html)

Bradley K. Sherman 10-13-2011 02:12 AM

Dennis Ritchie Has Died

> Sad news. Rob Pike reports on Google Plus that Dennis Ritchie
> died at his home this weekend after a long illness. Ritchie
> created the C programming language and was a key contributor
> to Unix. In 1983 he received the Turing Award with his long
> time colleague Ken Thompson for the development of operating
> systems theory and the implementation of the UNIX. He was
> elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1988.

--bks

Sunner Sun 10-13-2011 02:24 AM

Re: Dennis Ritchie Has Died

On Oct 13, 10:12*am, b...@panix.com (Bradley K. Sherman) wrote:
> > Sad news. *Rob Pike reports on Google Plus that Dennis Ritchie
> > died at his home this weekend after a long illness. *Ritchie
> > created the C programming language and was a key contributor
> > to Unix. *In 1983 he received the Turing Award with his long
> > time colleague Ken Thompson for the development of operating
> > systems theory and the implementation of the UNIX. *He was
> > elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1988.

> * * --bks

RIP dmr

Kleuskes & Moos 10-13-2011 11:51 AM

Re: Dennis Ritchie Has Died

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 19:24:02 -0700, Sunner Sun wrote:

> On Oct 13, 10:12*am, b...@panix.com (Bradley K. Sherman) wrote:
>> > Sad news. *Rob Pike reports on Google Plus that Dennis Ritchie died
>> > at his home this weekend after a long illness. *Ritchie created the C
>> > programming language and was a key contributor to Unix. *In 1983 he
>> > received the Turing Award with his long time colleague Ken Thompson
>> > for the development of operating systems theory and the
>> > implementation of the UNIX. *He was elected to the National Academy
>> > of Engineering in 1988.

>> * * --bks

> RIP dmr

#include <stdio.h>

int
main(void)
{
printf("Thanks! (requiescat in pace)\n");
return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

___________________
< Are we THERE yet? >
-------------------
\
\
___
{~._.~}
( Y )
()~*~()
(_)-(_)

Alberto 10-13-2011 01:58 PM

Re: Dennis Ritchie Has Died

On Oct 13, 1:51*pm, Kleuskes & Moos <kleu...@somewhere.else.net>
wrote:

> >> * * --bks

> > RIP dmr

> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int
> main(void)
> {
> * printf("Thanks! (requiescat in pace)\n");
> * return EXIT_SUCCESS;
>
> }

> *___________________
> < Are we THERE yet? >
> *-------------------
> * \
> * *\
> * * * *___ *
> * * *{~._.~}
> * * * ( Y )
> * * *()~*~() *
> * * *(_)-(_) *

rip

Ben Bacarisse 10-13-2011 02:23 PM

Re: Dennis Ritchie Has Died

Kleuskes & Moos <kleuske@somewhere.else.net> writes:

> [...]

<snip>

> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int
> main(void)
> {
>
> return EXIT_SUCCESS;
> }

I think:

#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
printf("Thanks\n");
return (0);
}

is more appropriate (though the change in the string is just personal
taste).

--
Ben.

sbalneav 10-13-2011 02:39 PM

Re: Dennis Ritchie Has Died

On 11-10-12 09:12 PM, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
>> Sad news. Rob Pike reports on Google Plus that Dennis Ritchie
>> died at his home this weekend after a long illness. Ritchie
>> created the C programming language and was a key contributor
>> to Unix. In 1983 he received the Turing Award with his long
>> time colleague Ken Thompson for the development of operating
>> systems theory and the implementation of the UNIX. He was
>> elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1988.

> --bks

My sympathies go out to his family and friends. It's too bad
there won't be the same level of public grief for Dennis R. as
there was for Steve J. I'd argue Dennis has had the greater
impact on the computing world than Steve did; Steve made a
nice house with a good paintjob and flashy curtains.

Dennis poured the foundation.

Nobody 10-13-2011 03:04 PM

Re: Dennis Ritchie Has Died

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 22:12:30 -0400, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:

>> Sad news. Rob Pike reports on Google Plus that Dennis Ritchie
>> died at his home this weekend after a long illness. Ritchie
>> created the C programming language and was a key contributor
>> to Unix. In 1983 he received the Turing Award with his long
>> time colleague Ken Thompson for the development of operating
>> systems theory and the implementation of the UNIX. He was
>> elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1988.

#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
printf("goodbye, world\n");
}

Kleuskes & Moos 10-13-2011 03:08 PM

Re: Dennis Ritchie Has Died

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 15:23:46 +0100, Ben Bacarisse wrote:

> Kleuskes & Moos <kleuske@somewhere.else.net> writes:

> <snip>
>
>> #include <stdio.h>
>>
>> int
>> main(void)
>> {
>>
>> return EXIT_SUCCESS;
>> }

> I think:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> main()
> {
> printf("Thanks\n");
> return (0);
> }
>
> is more appropriate (though the change in the string is just personal
> taste).

Nack. His brainchild grew beyond the original K&R, the C89-version reflects
this. The only flaw is that i forgot to include stdlib.h

The sentiment is the same, though. A great man died.

_______________________________________
/ I like the way ONLY their mouths move \
\ ... They look like DYING OYSTERS /
---------------------------------------
\
\
___
{~._.~}
( Y )
()~*~()
(_)-(_)

tea strainer 10-13-2011 04:32 PM

Re: Dennis Ritchie Has Died

Bradley K. Sherman writes:
>> Sad news. Rob Pike reports on Google Plus that Dennis Ritchie died at
>> his home this weekend after a long illness. Ritchie created the C
>> programming language and was a key contributor to Unix. In 1983 he
>> received the Turing Award with his long time colleague Ken Thompson for
>> the development of operating systems theory and the implementation of
>> the UNIX. He was elected to the National Academy of Engineering in
>> 1988.

You're off-topic here. This group discusses the C language. Try asking
over at soc.history.science where the experts hang out - they'll be able
to give you a better answer to your question.

Kenny McCormack 10-13-2011 04:37 PM

Re: Dennis Ritchie Has Died

In article <j773q8$hsh$1@speranza.aioe.org>,
tea strainer <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>Bradley K. Sherman writes:
>>> Sad news. Rob Pike reports on Google Plus that Dennis Ritchie died at
>>> his home this weekend after a long illness. Ritchie created the C
>>> programming language and was a key contributor to Unix. In 1983 he
>>> received the Turing Award with his long time colleague Ken Thompson for
>>> the development of operating systems theory and the implementation of
>>> the UNIX. He was elected to the National Academy of Engineering in
>>> 1988.

>You're off-topic here. This group discusses the C language. Try asking
>over at soc.history.science where the experts hang out - they'll be able
>to give you a better answer to your question.

Well done! Applause, applause.

--
But the Bush apologists hope that you won't remember all that. And they
also have a theory, which I've been hearing more and more - namely,

(Paul Krugman - Addicted to Bush)