Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: What macro for Nikon D3100? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t754823-re-what-macro-for-nikon-d3100.html)

Tim Conway 10-03-2011 02:26 PM

"Ed Wicks" <EdW@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:021020112007534912%EdW@nowhere.com...
>I would appreciate recommendations of a macro lens for a Nikon D3100,
> focal length 50-100, with autofocus feature. Thanks.
> Ed

One suggestion: go with a longer focal length if you want to shoot critters
like insects/butterflies. It allows for more working room so as not to
scare the critter. If you're going to copy prints etc. on a copystand the
40mm or 60mm might be better.

David Ruether 10-03-2011 03:20 PM

"Tim Conway" <tconway_113@comcast.net> wrote in message news:
j6cgms$q4k$1@dont-email.me:
> "Ed Wicks" <EdW@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> >I would appreciate recommendations of a macro lens for a Nikon D3100,
> > focal length 50-100, with autofocus feature. Thanks.
> > Ed

> One suggestion: go with a longer focal length if you want to shoot critters
> like insects/butterflies. It allows for more working room so as not to
> scare the critter. If you're going to copy prints etc. on a copystand the
> 40mm or 60mm might be better.

If you want to maximize DOF and magnification with insects,
a flash on a remote cord, mounted so the flash head is very
near the end and rotated to about 10:00 or 2:00 of the lens
axis works well, and the light is relatively soft since the
flash head is large compared with the subject. This method
has another advantage: if you are careful not to disturb the
insect, most will stay put after the first flash, giving you
the ability to further adjust your framing. BTW, here are
some samples (click on "Bugs", then through them), at --
http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/phun.html
These go up to 3X, all hand-held...
--DR

AlexisRhode34 04-11-2012 07:41 AM

Re: What macro for Nikon D3100?

I am having the same question as I recently purchased Nikon D3100, would like more suggestions on this if possible!