Velocity Reviews

-   -   Brother DCP 165C (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t754787-brother-dcp-165c.html)

Roger Dewhurst 10-04-2011 03:54 AM

Brother DCP 165C

I have a Brother DCP 165C printer/copier which has a "scan to email"
feature. It copies whatever is on the plate and generates an email.
One just has to fill in the addressee and text in the body. I can
send the email but I cannot find a copy of it anywhere. Can someone
suggest where I might look for the copy? It is not among the copies
of my other emails for which I use Thunderbird.

Bruce Sinclair 10-04-2011 04:04 AM

Re: Brother DCP 165C

In article <0c440803-7d6d-4ba2-8477-98c2d395aef7@i30g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, Roger Dewhurst <dewhurst.roger@gmail.com> wrote:
>I have a Brother DCP 165C printer/copier which has a "scan to email"
>feature. It copies whatever is on the plate and generates an email.
>One just has to fill in the addressee and text in the body. I can
>send the email but I cannot find a copy of it anywhere. Can someone
>suggest where I might look for the copy? It is not among the copies
>of my other emails for which I use Thunderbird.

Has the email actually gone to anywhere/anyone ? I have seen examples like
this where something says it has sent an email ... but it hasn't. :) Best
get confirmation that something has really happened first before looking for
the copies ? On a clear disk ... :)

Roger Dewhurst 10-04-2011 04:28 AM

Re: Brother DCP 165C

On Oct 4, 5:04*pm, bruce.sincl...@NOSPAMORELSEagresearch.NOTco.NOTnz
(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
> In article <0c440803-7d6d-4ba2-8477-98c2d395a...@i30g2000yqd.googlegroups..com>, Roger Dewhurst <dewhurst.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a Brother DCP 165C printer/copier which has a "scan to email"
> >feature. *It copies whatever is on the plate and generates an email.
> >One just has to fill in the addressee and text in the body. *I can
> >send the email but I cannot find a copy of it anywhere. *Can someone
> >suggest where I might look for the copy? *It is not among the copies
> >of my other emails for which I use Thunderbird.

> Has the email actually gone to anywhere/anyone ? I have seen examples like
> this where something says it has sent an email ... but it hasn't. :) Best
> get confirmation that something has really happened first before looking for
> the copies ? On a clear disk ... *:)

I sent a similar test email to myself using exactly the same
procedure. It arrived!

Donchano 10-04-2011 08:50 AM

Re: Brother DCP 165C

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 20:21:09 +1300, EMB <embtwo@gmail.com> shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>On 4/10/2011 5:28 p.m., Roger Dewhurst wrote:
>> On Oct 4, 5:04 pm, bruce.sincl...@NOSPAMORELSEagresearch.NOTco.NOTnz
>> (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

>>> Has the email actually gone to anywhere/anyone ? I have seen examples like
>>> this where something says it has sent an email ... but it hasn't. :) Best
>>> get confirmation that something has really happened first before looking for
>>> the copies ? On a clear disk ... :)

>> I sent a similar test email to myself using exactly the same
>> procedure. It arrived!
>>

>AFAIK it won't go into any "sent items" folder as the Brother software
>sends the email directly rather than via your email client.

Can you "send" a copy to yourself as well? IOW send to two addresses -
one to your recipient and the other to yourself so you've got a copy?

Dave Doe 10-04-2011 10:33 AM

Re: Brother DCP 165C

In article <0c440803-7d6d-4ba2-8477-98c2d395aef7
@i30g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, dewhurst.roger@gmail.com, Roger Dewhurst
says...

> I have a Brother DCP 165C printer/copier which has a "scan to email"
> feature. It copies whatever is on the plate and generates an email.
> One just has to fill in the addressee and text in the body. I can
> send the email but I cannot find a copy of it anywhere. Can someone
> suggest where I might look for the copy? It is not among the copies
> of my other emails for which I use Thunderbird.

You need to do a bit more than just send an e-mail - it needs to know of
a "server" - normally, these things sit in a domain enviroment, but....
check out what you can setup - configure it with an IP address that
matches your local environment - eg if your local IP enviroment is like
192.168.1.1 ... 255 - then try assigning it a network address of say
192.168.1.150 . If you can it it "on" the network, then you can
normally configure these sorts of machine via their own "web server" -
just like an ADSL modem. So then from your PC you could go to:
http://192.168.1.150 - and you'll find it much easier to setup via it's
web interface.

(Sorry I've not looked up the printer, so I could be quite wrong about
the IP setup and it being able to be configured via a built in web
interface / server).

--
Duncan.