Velocity Reviews

-   -   Compiler thats works in Windows 7 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t754556-compiler-thats-works-in-windows-7-a.html)

AK 09-30-2011 08:44 AM

Compiler thats works in Windows 7

HI guys,

Its been a really long time since I came back here and the reason is
simply that I was working with Java when I started working. Now that I
have entered a grad school, I am in the process of returning to C.

So, heres the big question. Back in the days when I last used C, I
used to use the Bloodshed Dev-C++ IDE that comes(or at-least used to)
with the MIngw package. However, things have changed and my new laptop
runs Windows 7. So, I am looking for a compiler(preferably an IDE)
that I can use as I am re-learning C. I am hoping to get a compiler
that sticks to the standards. So, any suggestions?

Thanks
Anoop

jacob navia 09-30-2011 08:54 AM

Re: Compiler thats works in Windows 7

Le 30/09/11 10:44, AK a écrit :
> HI guys,
>
> Its been a really long time since I came back here and the reason is
> simply that I was working with Java when I started working. Now that I
> have entered a grad school, I am in the process of returning to C.
>
> So, heres the big question. Back in the days when I last used C, I
> used to use the Bloodshed Dev-C++ IDE that comes(or at-least used to)
> with the MIngw package. However, things have changed and my new laptop
> runs Windows 7. So, I am looking for a compiler(preferably an IDE)
> that I can use as I am re-learning C. I am hoping to get a compiler
> that sticks to the standards. So, any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
> Anoop

The lcc-win compiler implements most of C99. It has an IDE, windowed
debugger, and it can be downloaded at no cost.

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32/

Noob 09-30-2011 09:06 AM

AK wrote:

> Subject: Compiler that works in Windows 7

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/

If you were happy with MinGW, it is still actively maintained.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MinGW
http://www.mingw.org/

jacob navia 09-30-2011 11:03 AM

Le 30/09/11 11:06, Noob a écrit :
> AK wrote:
>
>> Subject: Compiler that works in Windows 7

> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/

`
It must be said that that compiler doesn't support standard C (C99)

> If you were happy with MinGW, it is still actively maintained.

The compiler supports C99 syntax but its standard library is not
C99 so problems with appear, specially with printf...

Karthik Bharadwaj 09-30-2011 01:41 PM

On 9/30/2011 2:44 AM, AK wrote:
> HI guys,
>
> Its been a really long time since I came back here and the reason is
> simply that I was working with Java when I started working. Now that I
> have entered a grad school, I am in the process of returning to C.
>
> So, heres the big question. Back in the days when I last used C, I
> used to use the Bloodshed Dev-C++ IDE that comes(or at-least used to)
> with the MIngw package. However, things have changed and my new laptop
> runs Windows 7. So, I am looking for a compiler(preferably an IDE)
> that I can use as I am re-learning C. I am hoping to get a compiler
> that sticks to the standards. So, any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
> Anoop

If you're going to be coding exclusively in C, Code::Blocks is the best
one, and is actively maintained. It is available for both win/linux
platforms
http://www.codeblocks.org/

If you're going to be using a bit of c++ as well, download microsoft
visual studio express edition (assuming windows) or go with code blocks
(win/linux).

Eclipse with CDT is good too. And you can program in a multitude of
languages with one IDE. debugger integration is pretty good in eclipse
too. so if you're gonna be coding in c, c++, java and want to learn
python n stuff, + generate documentation and do a million other things
from one place, I would suggest you get eclipse.

http://www.eclipse.org

ImpalerCore 09-30-2011 03:03 PM

On Sep 30, 4:44*am, AK <anoopkamma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> HI guys,
>
> Its been a really long time since I came back here and the reason is
> simply that I was working with Java when I started working. Now that I
> have entered a grad school, I am in the process of returning to C.
>
> So, heres the big question. Back in the days when I last used C, I
> used to use the Bloodshed Dev-C++ IDE that comes(or at-least used to)
> with the MIngw package. However, things have changed and my new laptop
> runs Windows 7. So, I am looking for a compiler(preferably an IDE)
> that I can use as I am re-learning C. I am hoping to get a compiler
> that sticks to the standards. So, any suggestions?

Well, if you're going to *graduate* school, you must eschew the bonds
of an IDE and learn to work with the tools from a more civilized era.
That means vi, bash, make, sed, preferably on a unix workstation,
although installing linux on a laptop is good as well; MinGW on
windows is passible as an alternative with a unix compatible shell,
but don't advertise that fact. Be sure to use -pedantic with gcc to
ensure strict conformance; extensions are beneath you. All your
programs should use a sophisticated but easy to use set of command-
line options, or an interactive character-driver menu system; none of
this fancy and non-standard GooEY stuff. Most importantly, remember
that using a debugger is forbidden; use your intellect and scratch
paper, and as a last resort if you absolutely have to, well placed
print statements.

It's imperative that you start reading the C90 and C99 standards now.
Once you have a grasp on those documents, browse the usenet archives
for comp.lang.c and comp.std.c to learn how to speak standardese. If
one of your fellow students asks a mundane C question, the correct
response is to quote chapter and verse from the appropriate place in
the standard. Observe other more experienced members of this usenet
group for how to articulate these answers. On a side note, stop using
Google groups and invest in a newsgroup reader.

Lastly, if capable, all graduate students who program should grow a
beard. What do you see that's in common between Kernighan, Ritchie,
Thompson, ...? You may ignore this requirement if you are female.

Best regards,
John D.

John Gordon 09-30-2011 04:18 PM

In <973209e0-4e84-44ed-aa8e-0b16ba322873@i30g2000yqd.googlegroups.com> ImpalerCore <jadill33@gmail.com> writes:

> Well, if you're going to *graduate* school, you must eschew the bonds

I smell a troll.

jacob navia 09-30-2011 05:11 PM

lawrence.jones@siemens.com 09-30-2011 06:37 PM

John Gordon <gordon@panix.com> wrote:
> In <973209e0-4e84-44ed-aa8e-0b16ba322873@i30g2000yqd.googlegroups.com> ImpalerCore <jadill33@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Well, if you're going to *graduate* school, you must eschew the bonds

> I smell a troll.

Dwarf. Trolls don't have beards.
--
Larry Jones

Pitiful. Just pitiful. -- Calvin

Nick Keighley 10-02-2011 10:01 AM

On Sep 30, 9:54*am, jacob navia <ja...@spamsink.net> wrote:
> Le 30/09/11 10:44, AK a écrit :
>
> > HI guys,

> > Its been a really long time since I came back here and the reason is
> > simply that I was working with Java when I started working. Now that I
> > have entered a grad school, I am in the process of returning to C.

> > So, heres the big question. Back in the days when I last used C, I
> > used to use the Bloodshed Dev-C++ IDE that comes(or at-least used to)
> > with the MIngw package. However, things have changed and my new laptop
> > runs Windows 7. So, I am looking for a compiler(preferably an IDE)
> > that I can use as I am re-learning C. I am hoping to get a compiler
> > that sticks to the standards. So, any suggestions?

> > Thanks
> > Anoop

> The lcc-win compiler implements most of C99. It has an IDE, windowed
> debugger, and it can be downloaded at no cost.

....for non-commercial use