Velocity Reviews

-   -   New harddisks don't boot when old harddisks are disconnected. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t754358-new-harddisks-dont-boot-when-old-harddisks-are-disconnected.html)

Skybuck Flying 09-22-2011 06:21 PM

New harddisks don't boot when old harddisks are disconnected.

Hello,

I have discovered a very serious issue with my DreamPC from 2006 (updated
along the years because of hardware failures) for which I will seek help.

(Computer has 4 harddisks).

The problem is:

When the old harddisks are disconnected the new harddisk don't boot.

Ofcourse I tried changing boot order in bios, or tried the boot option menu
but all of this didn't help/work which indicates a more serious issue.

I suspect the problem is with how Windows 7 installed itself and how it
arranged the boot program. I suspect the boot program is on an old harddisk
instead of the new one.

Windows 7 was installed on the new harddisk, but I suspect Windows 7 did not
install the boot program on the new harddisk, which would be a pretty stupid
thing for Windows to do ! So this could be a very serious issue for Windows
7. But enough speculating there could also be other causes which I will sum
up here so I know what to investigate:

Possible causes:

1. Windows 7 boot program installed on old harddisk instead of new one.

2. ASRock motherboard has issue with booting 2 terrabyte harddisk.

3. ASRock motherboard sata port 1 and 2 only work for booting.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying 09-22-2011 06:39 PM

Re: New harddisks don't boot when old harddisks are disconnected.

At first I thought it was the hardware, but others have noticed this weird
behaviour as well:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2001019AAn4laM

So it now seems Windows 7 is really stupid and dumbed down to the point
where it leads to these kinds of problems and cluelessness.

Just like the guys in that thread I have no idea where the boot program is
actually stored since the installation program of Windows 7 never showed it
clearly as far as I can remember.

I can also remember thinking to myself: "Where the **** are all my drives ?"
when I was installing Windows 7 and "where did this C:" drive come from ?
"Why is it showing my new drive as C: ?" Apperently Windows 7 does some
renaming after wards ?!? All very weird... Indeed my old drivers are called
"D:" and "E:" and my new drives are called: "C:" and "F:".
Very strange indeed !

My conclusion can only be:

That Windows 7 has become a dumbed-down-piece-of-****.

It's going the way of the Mac where clueless users have to visit a Mac-store
to get some help with their "magic" operating system and probably return
home without any help at all lol ;) :)

For me no sorry guys, I don't have time to go to a store... So I will not be
using Windows when it comes to that ;) :)

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Skybuck Flying 09-22-2011 06:45 PM

Re: New harddisks don't boot when old harddisks are disconnected.

Oh by the way I forgot to mention a possible solution for this problem,
which was also mentioned on the board/web site:

1. Find the Windows 7 installation CD/DVD (?) or maybe it needs a special
CD/DVD but try installation CD/DVD ;)

2. Hope that the CD/DVD survived gravity and temperature fluctuations and is
still working.

3. Hope that the CD/DVD rom drive is still working.

4. Hope there are no scratches on the CD/DVD ;) :)

5. Disconnect or remove the old harddisks, but keep the new harddisks
connected.

6. Boot from CD/DVD via bios tweek or bios boot menu.

7. Let Windows 7 CD/DVD boot process "repair" the installation on the new
harddisks.

8. Hope for the best.

Fingers crossed.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying 09-22-2011 08:00 PM

Re: New harddisks don't boot when old harddisks are disconnected.

Well,

I have learned to expect the unexpected by now.

And it's not big surprise to me that it didn't work.

The repair program on the Windows 7 CD/DVD was strangely enough not capable
of detecting the two 2 terrabytes drives.

This does raise the interesting question, how Windows 7 was capable of
installing itself on these harddrives ?!?

Therefore I am also starting to suspect that it might be a motherboard/bios
issue ?!?

Also since the volume corruption incident the floppy drive acts weird during
startup, it might be because I told microsoft security essentials to ignore
the drive A: but it seems to do the opposite, it might also be a motherboard
issue.

To me this situation is totally unacceptable.

If windows 7 cannot boot from a 2 terrabyte drive or be so dumb as to
include a boot program, then this warrants switching to an operating system
which can.

For now I shall with hold my final judgement until I figure out if it's a
Windows 7/Software problem or a hardware problem.

But for now things are not looking good for Microsoft, my list of issues
which I don't like:

1. Still no *.* file masks in windows explorer after 15 years since ms-dos.

2. Windows Live slow and behaving badly.

3. Virus scanner obnoxious, though feeling protected is a bit nice, however
false warnings <- bad too.

4. Shutdown slow because of updates, updates are always risky.

5. Java does not work properly in IE9 might require java updates from
untrustworthy and no defunct SUN. Ah to hell with java ;) :) I ll cut
microsoft some slack on this one ;)

6. Cannot tell which Internet Explorer session is which in Taskbar, it's
just a gigant list.

7. Windows keys should probably be automatically disabled when starting
games, though it might be a bit tricky when to figure this out, so I ll cut
them some slack on this one, not really a serious issue but ok.

8. All kinds of things missue in the gui of windows explorer, the search is
also a mess.

9. Weird boot/drive behaviour with multiple harddisks.

10. Annoying taskbar not showing all processes by default have to click
special button which is annoying.

11. Incrediably bad ASCII support in Windows Live Mail, incrediably bad
identing copy & paste.

12. Mail and usenet seperated from each other in Windows Live Mail also
kinda annoying.

13. No decent import for rules or mail in Windows Live Mail, some stuff
lost, or fubbared.

14. Slow operation of windows live mail sometimes.

15. Annoying restart behaviour of crashed IE9 sometimes, though sometimes
recovery is nice.

16. Perhaps host game servers is bad on windows 7, not sure, could be
graphics card issue too.

17. nvidia graphics tray icon not automatically showing menu when clicking
once, must click twice/double why ??? weird.

18. Haven't even tried service pack 1 sounds bad according to others.

19. Windows 8 seems to become a HUGE SPY OPERATING SYSTEM, it wants to know
everything about you.

and now as a finally:

20. Windows 7 does not boot properly from terrabytes drives ?!?!?!?!? And
can't fix it ?!?!?!?!? (Though not yet sure if it's a windows or hardware
problem)

I am also getting doubts about the PC in general after seeing floppy drive
miss behave and stupid boot going to fast, and F11 to select boot menu works
bad and now this strange 2TB problem.

Just seen another one:

21. Windows Live Mail scrolls bad when pressing page up/page down, amazingly
bad.

22. Windows Live Mail behaves bad when trying to click into the text window,
again amazingly bad.

23. Even more amazingly: The scrollbars of the main windows look different
than the scrollbars of a message window ?!?! WOW ! ;) :) Nice find there
Skybuck ! LOL ;) =D

Totally lolling.

24. Question which remains unaswered: what caused volume corruption ? Was it
a break in into the system late at night, some weird event messages, or was
it a Microsoft employee breaking in ? Or was it a badly gone update from
Microsoft, or just a bug in their file system ?!? Or quality of drive ? or
micro vibration ?!? Very strange.

I have plenty of things not to like about Windows 7 and especially it's GUI
and Mail Client, it sux.

Feeling more protected does feel kinda nice, and feeling more secure/updated
feels kinda nice, but now a critical issue has arrived:

NO MORE BOOT
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UNACCEPTABLE
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why Windows 7 did not install a boot program on the the same drive were it
was installed is BEYOND ME ?!?!

Was this to support some strange obscure boot manager or VMWARE situation
?!? Screw that/**** that... let them modify it.

I want my drive/windows to BOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTT !!!

AND NOW IT DOESNT
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT MEANS YOU NOT WORTHY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even worse:

Now I have to go spent an INCREDIBLE HUGE AMMOUNT OF TIME TO FIND A SAFE FIX
!!! AND RISK MY SYSTEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UNACCEPTABLE

I was supposed to never open my system ever again !!!

But now I have to unplug,replug,unplug,replug stuff !

I have to REBOOT REBOOT REBOOT to try stuff !

And WORST OF ALL: RISK MY VALUABLE DATA ON MY DISKS
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UNACCEPTABLE
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can go stuff your WINDOWS UP YOUR ASS
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bye,
Skybuck.

Tom Del Rosso 09-22-2011 08:45 PM

John Larkin wrote:

> Windows 8 and UEFI will be worse.

And UEFI will standardize the BIOS to the point where it will be possible
for a generic virus to infect a flash BIOS.

That should be a fertile new source of hallucinations for Skybuck. Some of
them could be real.

zero, and remove the last word.

Rich Grise 09-22-2011 08:59 PM

Skybuck Flying wrote:

> I have discovered a very serious issue with my DreamPC from 2006 (updated
> along the years because of hardware failures) for which I will seek help.
>
> (Computer has 4 harddisks).
>
> The problem is:
>
> When the old harddisks are disconnected the new harddisk don't boot.

Did you format them bootable, and actually write a boot sector and OS to
them?

Thanks,
Rich

JeffM 09-22-2011 08:59 PM

John Larkin wrote:
>Windows 8 and UEFI will be worse.

UEFI is DOA.
If the European regulators don't kill it,
the supply chain will ignore it. It's a profit killer.
http://tinyurl.com/UEFIcomparedToVista

Rich Grise 09-22-2011 09:00 PM

John Larkin wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 20:39:54 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
>>
>>That Windows 7 has become a dumbed-down-piece-of-****.

> Windows 8 and UEFI will be worse.

I can't understand why MICRO$~1 doesn't jump on Linux and write
some familiar 'doze eye candy and sell it.

Cheers!
Rich

Nobody > (Revisited) 09-22-2011 09:40 PM

On 9/22/2011 1:59 PM, JeffM wrote:
> John Larkin wrote:
>> Windows 8 and UEFI will be worse.
>>

> UEFI is DOA.
> If the European regulators don't kill it,
> the supply chain will ignore it. It's a profit killer.
> http://tinyurl.com/UEFIcomparedToVista

What are you smoking?
That article has nothing to do with UEFI.

There are Linux gods and then there are fanbois... and then there are
the idiot fanbois...

--
"**** this is it, all the pieces do fit.
We're like that crazy old man jumping

Nobody > (Revisited) 09-22-2011 09:55 PM

On 9/22/2011 2:42 PM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 16:45:10 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
> <td_03@verizon.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>> John Larkin wrote:
>>>
>>> Windows 8 and UEFI will be worse.

>> And UEFI will standardize the BIOS to the point where it will be possible
>> for a generic virus to infect a flash BIOS.

Possible, we know it WILL be tried.

> It will also allow Microsoft to twist the arms of PC vendors so that
> they ship machines that will only boot Windows.
>
> John

Cites please?
Otherwise you are just another idiot fanboi parrot.