Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is there a term for all tasks around programming? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t754334-is-there-a-term-for-all-tasks-around-programming.html)

DeMarcus 09-22-2011 09:25 AM

Is there a term for all tasks around programming?

Hi,

We all do software development. Some even do software architecture. But
is there a common name for all the things around software development?

With things around software development I mean for instance:

* Version controlling, e.g. cvs, svn, git, etc.
* Documentation, e.g. Doxygen, etc.
* Bug- and issue tracking, e.g. Bugzilla, Jira, etc.
* Unit testing, e.g. TDD, etc.
* Build systems, e.g. TeamCity, etc.

Is there a common name for all that kind of work above? I couldn't find
any on the net so I just invented two alternatives to start with:

Development Groundwork
or
Development Support

Or is there already a common name?

Thanks,
Daniel

Fulvio Esposito 09-22-2011 09:33 AM

Re: Is there a term for all tasks around programming?

On Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:25:50 AM UTC+2, DeMarcus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We all do software development. Some even do software architecture. But
> is there a common name for all the things around software development?
>
> With things around software development I mean for instance:
>
> * Version controlling, e.g. cvs, svn, git, etc.
> * Documentation, e.g. Doxygen, etc.
> * Bug- and issue tracking, e.g. Bugzilla, Jira, etc.
> * Unit testing, e.g. TDD, etc.
> * Build systems, e.g. TeamCity, etc.
>

> Is there a common name for all that kind of work above? I couldn't find
> any on the net so I just invented two alternatives to start with:
>
> Development Groundwork
> or
> Development Support
>

> Or is there already a common name?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel

maybe toolchain?

Cheers,
Fulvio

Ian Collins 09-22-2011 09:35 AM

On 09/22/11 09:25 PM, DeMarcus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We all do software development. Some even do software architecture. But
> is there a common name for all the things around software development?
>
> With things around software development I mean for instance:
>
> * Version controlling, e.g. cvs, svn, git, etc.
> * Documentation, e.g. Doxygen, etc.
> * Bug- and issue tracking, e.g. Bugzilla, Jira, etc.
> * Unit testing, e.g. TDD, etc.
> * Build systems, e.g. TeamCity, etc.
>

> Is there a common name for all that kind of work above?

Pain.

With the exception of Unit testing which is development.

--
Ian Collins

Jorgen Grahn 09-22-2011 11:17 AM

On Thu, 2011-09-22, DeMarcus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We all do software development. Some even do software architecture. But
> is there a common name for all the things around software development?

Maybe ... software development?

> With things around software development I mean for instance:
>
> * Version controlling, e.g. cvs, svn, git, etc.
> * Documentation, e.g. Doxygen, etc.
> * Bug- and issue tracking, e.g. Bugzilla, Jira, etc.
> * Unit testing, e.g. TDD, etc.
> * Build systems, e.g. TeamCity, etc.
>

> Is there a common name for all that kind of work above? I couldn't find
> any on the net so I just invented two alternatives to start with:
>
> Development Groundwork
> or
> Development Support

Oh, so you want a name for everything but the pure programming
(defined as the activity which starts with an idea and ends with an
untested, undocumented executable).

I think it's both pointless and harmful to try to split those. Don't
do it.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

Jorgen Grahn 09-22-2011 11:36 AM

On Thu, 2011-09-22, Ian Collins wrote:
> On 09/22/11 09:25 PM, DeMarcus wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We all do software development. Some even do software architecture. But
>> is there a common name for all the things around software development?
>>
>> With things around software development I mean for instance:
>>
>> * Version controlling, e.g. cvs, svn, git, etc.
>> * Documentation, e.g. Doxygen, etc.
>> * Bug- and issue tracking, e.g. Bugzilla, Jira, etc.
>> * Unit testing, e.g. TDD, etc.
>> * Build systems, e.g. TeamCity, etc.
>>

>> Is there a common name for all that kind of work above?

> Pain.
>
> With the exception of Unit testing which is development.

When they are painful, it's partly because people like us don't
think they are important enough to do right, or they are "someone
else's" problem, or something ...

All the thing listed exist for one reason: so we can do our job.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

DeMarcus 09-22-2011 12:13 PM

On 09/22/2011 01:17 PM, Jorgen Grahn wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-22, DeMarcus wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We all do software development. Some even do software architecture. But
>> is there a common name for all the things around software development?

> Maybe ... software development?
>
>> With things around software development I mean for instance:
>>
>> * Version controlling, e.g. cvs, svn, git, etc.
>> * Documentation, e.g. Doxygen, etc.
>> * Bug- and issue tracking, e.g. Bugzilla, Jira, etc.
>> * Unit testing, e.g. TDD, etc.
>> * Build systems, e.g. TeamCity, etc.
>>

>> Is there a common name for all that kind of work above? I couldn't find
>> any on the net so I just invented two alternatives to start with:
>>
>> Development Groundwork
>> or
>> Development Support

> Oh, so you want a name for everything but the pure programming
> (defined as the activity which starts with an idea and ends with an
> untested, undocumented executable).
>
> I think it's both pointless and harmful to try to split those. Don't
> do it.

We have the same opinion but let me explain. There are situations when
it's bad to put them together. It's when the manager says; focus on the
programming! (so documentation and unit tests are left out since the
manager thinks those are optional)

If they're split I believe we can track the quality of it better. Just
like we split software development and software architecture, I would
like to split development and work connected to development to be able
to give the work connected to development a name to be able to give it
better focus.

/Daniel

Jorgen Grahn 09-22-2011 12:47 PM

Re: Is there a term for all tasks around programming?

On Thu, 2011-09-22, DeMarcus wrote:
> On 09/22/2011 01:17 PM, Jorgen Grahn wrote:

>> Oh, so you want a name for everything but the pure programming
>> (defined as the activity which starts with an idea and ends with an
>> untested, undocumented executable).
>>
>> I think it's both pointless and harmful to try to split those. Don't
>> do it.
>>

> We have the same opinion but let me explain. There are situations when
> it's bad to put them together. It's when the manager says; focus on the
> programming! (so documentation and unit tests are left out since the
> manager thinks those are optional)

Argh.

> If they're split I believe we can track the quality of it better. Just
> like we split software development and software architecture, I would
> like to split development and work connected to development to be able
> to give the work connected to development a name to be able to give it
> better focus.

I think the manager might be happier if he gets to choose the name for
it. Then you write a fake magazine article about how great FOO is, let
a friend do a business magazine-style layout, and slip it between page
4 and 5 in one of the glossies your manager is reading ;-)

(Seriously, I have no good suggestions. Maybe something with
"maintainability" or "long-term survival" in the name.)

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

none 09-22-2011 01:12 PM

Re: Is there a term for all tasks around programming?

In article <4e7aff26$0$283$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>,
DeMarcus <use_my_alias_here@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We all do software development. Some even do software architecture. But
>is there a common name for all the things around software development?
>
>With things around software development I mean for instance:
>
>* Version controlling, e.g. cvs, svn, git, etc.
>* Documentation, e.g. Doxygen, etc.
>* Bug- and issue tracking, e.g. Bugzilla, Jira, etc.
>* Unit testing, e.g. TDD, etc.
>* Build systems, e.g. TeamCity, etc.
>

>Is there a common name for all that kind of work above? I couldn't find
>any on the net so I just invented two alternatives to start with:
>
>Development Groundwork
>or
>Development Support
>

>Or is there already a common name?

Not a single term for all of them.

I've seen Configuration Management used for Version Controlling and
sometimes build system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Configu...ion_management

Unit Testing should be an integral part of development.

Yannick

none 09-22-2011 01:21 PM

Re: Is there a term for all tasks around programming?

In article <slrnj7mbia.1bk.grahn+nntp@frailea.sa.invalid>,
Jorgen Grahn <grahn+nntp@snipabacken.se> wrote:
>On Thu, 2011-09-22, DeMarcus wrote:
>> On 09/22/2011 01:17 PM, Jorgen Grahn wrote:

>>> Oh, so you want a name for everything but the pure programming
>>> (defined as the activity which starts with an idea and ends with an
>>> untested, undocumented executable).
>>>
>>> I think it's both pointless and harmful to try to split those. Don't
>>> do it.
>>>

>> We have the same opinion but let me explain. There are situations when
>> it's bad to put them together. It's when the manager says; focus on the
>> programming! (so documentation and unit tests are left out since the
>> manager thinks those are optional)

>Argh.
>
>> If they're split I believe we can track the quality of it better. Just
>> like we split software development and software architecture, I would
>> like to split development and work connected to development to be able
>> to give the work connected to development a name to be able to give it
>> better focus.

>I think the manager might be happier if he gets to choose the name for
>it. Then you write a fake magazine article about how great FOO is, let
>a friend do a business magazine-style layout, and slip it between page
>4 and 5 in one of the glossies your manager is reading ;-)
>
>(Seriously, I have no good suggestions. Maybe something with
>"maintainability" or "long-term survival" in the name.)

No documentation might only create problems in the long-term but no
unit tests...

Manager:
"Just focus on the code. just implement that feature as fast as
possible, we need it yesterday! Implement this calculator now!"

Dev:
"OK, if you insist."

int add(int a, int b)
{
return 7;
}
int mult(int a, int b)
{
return 12;
}

"Done! I've implemented both the add and mult function. I haven't
had time to fully test it 'though."

Manager:
"That's alright. Just send it to the test department."

DeMarcus 09-22-2011 01:34 PM

On 09/22/2011 03:21 PM, none Yannick Tremblay wrote:
> In article<slrnj7mbia.1bk.grahn+nntp@frailea.sa.inval id>,
> Jorgen Grahn<grahn+nntp@snipabacken.se> wrote:

>>> We have the same opinion but let me explain. There are situations when
>>> it's bad to put them together. It's when the manager says; focus on the
>>> programming! (so documentation and unit tests are left out since the
>>> manager thinks those are optional)

>> Argh.
>>
>>> If they're split I believe we can track the quality of it better. Just
>>> like we split software development and software architecture, I would
>>> like to split development and work connected to development to be able
>>> to give the work connected to development a name to be able to give it
>>> better focus.

>> I think the manager might be happier if he gets to choose the name for
>> it. Then you write a fake magazine article about how great FOO is, let
>> a friend do a business magazine-style layout, and slip it between page
>> 4 and 5 in one of the glossies your manager is reading ;-)
>>
>> (Seriously, I have no good suggestions. Maybe something with
>> "maintainability" or "long-term survival" in the name.)

> No documentation might only create problems in the long-term but no
> unit tests...
>
> Manager:
> "Just focus on the code. just implement that feature as fast as
> possible, we need it yesterday! Implement this calculator now!"
>

> Dev:
> "OK, if you insist."
>
> int add(int a, int b)
> {
> return 7;
> }
> int mult(int a, int b)
> {
> return 12;
> }
>
> "Done! I've implemented both the add and mult function. I haven't
> had time to fully test it 'though."
>
> Manager:
> "That's alright. Just send it to the test department."

I like your way of sliding in TDD without anyone noticing, however, when
it comes back from the test department, the time to fix it will be
logged as bugfix on the developer's account. No salary raise that year
either...